Finding the wolves?

supercrossbmx69

Where I archery hunt, in the past 2 years I have seen 5 wolves. One just a lone wolf probably 1300-1400 yards. The other occasion was a pack of 4 and I watched them chase 6 mule deer over to another draw but they were probably close to a mile away. Unfortunately, I didn't have any LR rigs with me.

Where I archery hunt for elk, the place is FULL of elk all archery season until the first round of a rifle is cracked off on opening day of rifle season. Then they move on to private and you won't even see a track until spring.

So my question is, would the wolves stay where I've been seeing them, or will they follow the elk? My trigger finger has been itching due to my new LR rig finally showed up, so after I get my drops validated, I plan on chasing some wolves!

wolves eat on a regular basis. So. . . where there's elk there will be wolves. Knowing when is the catch.

They cover a lot of ground. It may be well to spend the time to pattern them a bit.

Wolfin' isn't a gimme…

In my experience it is best to learn their turn around points. They usually have a ridge or some point where they bump up against another pack and they turn around there. It defines their area. They also have travel routes they use. These can change due to pursuit of game but they use them often. Glass for fresh tracks travelling these routes. They will follow the game and the best way to find them is find a fresh kill. I think they are getting harder to find all the time. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.