Finally the Defensive Edge LRKM is unveiled

Shawn,
Could you tell us what the difference is between the 338 Lapua, 338 Edge & the 338 Edge + P? Thanks! I'm in the market to have a 338 built but am trying to decide which route to go.
Jeff

Very nice. Glad its come together for you!!! If you want to use a real receiver we could work out a deal to use the Raptor in your rifle!!! Its available in right and left hand and single shot.

Congrats again, looks like a hell of a design. Have you noticed an increase in muzzle blast bringing the muzzle that close to your face. I know in the specialty handguns, especially using rifle scopes and a good brake it is dramatically more intense then a traditional rifle length muzzle blast.

Next question, when do we see one scaled up for the monsters? 338 AM, 375 AM, something like that!!!

Good job buddy, its been a long time coming but anything that is top quality usually is.

Still think we should team up your stock design with the Raptor receiver!!!

Kirby,

It might be an interesting match up I'll call you.

Differenced between the 338 Lapua Mag and the Edge are minimal the 338 Edge +P version will run 130-150 fps faster than the standard Edge out of the same case.

Shawn,

I know you listed the available chamberings, but I gotta ask anyway.... Since you are already going to be doing the 338 lapua, how about a lapua improved, like Kirby's 338 AX? Bolt face is the same, just a different reamer....

How much coin for one those things?? Are you taking orders yet, I would like to get on the list.

Real curious about the Edge +P, looking forward to your info on how you are getting another 150 fps from the same case.

Congratulations on the new design, it looks great! gun)

WOAH! :cool:

Now, that is a beast, any Youtube video of it in action yet?

All the best with the project.

Cheers.

OK I have been developing this for a long timeand thanks to the few people who have seen it but kept a lid on it like I asked.
The biggest complaint I have had with LR rifles is the length for any number of reason, cases, portability, platform etc. I had an idea floating around in my head and started work developing it a few years ago. This is the prototype with a Rem 700 action, the finished version will be available on a BAT single shot action only. They will initally be available in 338 Edge (of course), 338 Lapua Mag and 338 Edge +P (more on that later). OAL is only 43" !!!!! Weight will be right around 15 lbs with a NF 5.5-22 NXS and bipod. 85% of the rifles weight is behind the bipod, that makes it ride a bag better than any conventional rifle you ever shot (4.8 lbs bag pressure). Accuracy is outstanding and it is bomb proof. LOP is spacer adjustable, cheekpiece are supplied in 1/8 increments for a total of 1/2" adjustment. The green OD color or Coyote tan will be hard anodized and the black will be Cerakote. We will be ready to start building these very soon, it has been a long but worth while project as it turned out better than expected in the area of performance. Also as you would expect form me it will be availble in both RH and LH unlike most other cool stuff.

PS - I'll send a free copy of Send It volume 2 to the first person to post the correct long version name that LRKM stands for.

LRKM%2001.jpg

LRKM%2002.jpg

Is there a significant difference in lock time in your configuration vs the conventional set-up?
That would make a sweet set-up in a light weight version for sheep or mt goat.

There some issues that would require serious interest to overcome. Changing the action to something that is not a 700 LA footprint would require changing almost everypart on the rifle so given the amount of guys that would actually buy one in a 338 AM or 375 CT etc would probably not be enough to make it worth doing. If the interest was there maybe, even if there was there is no way I could make it under 16 lbs. as you see it in the picture ready to go it weighs 13.75 lbs it is actually lighter than our standard Canyon Rifle and 11 inches shorter! As far as chambering in other calibers that will be possible a little later on. We want to get over the initial "hump" first before we open the calibers up to "any mag or super mag chamberings". We are taking orders now but are about 8 months out due to the action leade times of 5-6 months. Color options will be black barrel / action and either Black, OD Green, or Coyote anodized stock tube etc. It is not quite the Henry Ford theory but for quite some time that will the the only options. There is no real option list as it has everything you could want all ready on it. The only thing you need to pick is color and ring, scope options. It is not cheap to have a CNC designed rifle made from solid billet, the rifle will sell for $4800.00 + optics. I had an idea when I started out and cutting any corner was not part of it. If you guys have any questions feel free to post them. I put the release of the LRKM out here first so you guys would have a jump on everyone else to see it. It has been a huge outlay of time and money, but if you know you have a good idea you just have to stay after it and it has been worth it. Glad you guys like it, I will post more photos later.

Any chance of a little video footage of this thing in action in the near future? I'd like to see someone behind the rifle working the bolt. It looks like it would be slightly cumbersome at first glance.

Clearly working the bolt will not be as smooth as a conventional rifle design. I took several ideas in consideration relative to bolt operation.
1. Very few people operate the bolt correctly, keeping the cheekweld , follow through and smoothly manipulating the bolt.
2. It is a single shot and a round will have to be manually loaded (probably with the strong hand)
3. In 99% of all long range shooting situations I have been in or part to, two things have happened the animal is missed my a large enough margin that it is confused or oblivious to the shot all together allowing all the time in the world for a follow up shot or a solid hit is made, a poor hit is made, or a close miss is made all of which usually send the animal into the next zip code or drop it on the spot. In none of these scenerios would a quick smooth follow up shot have made any difference.
4. Portability, 1st round accuracy, repeatability and a platform that is easy to shoot well all came in way ahead of how smooth the bolt was to operate in terms of importance.

So yes you have to roll the shoulder a little to operate the bolt (easy to do since most people will do this naturally when they get the next round) and yes it is a single shot but in the design of things these are minor gripes compared to the benefits of the setup. In the end there is no free lunch. The military groups that have seen it all asked the same thing, "Really nice but can you make it a repeater and make the bolt easier to manipulate? "Sure and it will look like the rifles tyou already have." I hope to shoot some video soon to post and show its abilities.

New ideas always take some time to become accepted by the masses. There IS definitely a place for this type of gun and there are lots of great features that will grow on people as they spend some time with the gun or even spend some time thinking about it.

Shawn, if you need to take some video of someone shooting it, i guess i would do that for you!

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.