Finally tested my 338 LM load through a chronograph

Korhil78

Finally got a hold of a chronograph to see if my velocity that I verified just by shooting out to 1780 yds. matched the actual chrono speed. I was only able to shoot 5 rounds through it because I didn't have a lot of time.

My gun is a custom 338 LM with a 26" barrel.

My load is:
Lapua brass
CCI 250 primers
300 gr Berger OTM
93 gr of H1000(no signs of pressure when shot under 80 degrees)

The velocity that I use from my drops from different ranges is 2815 fps.

Got the chrono set up and shot 5 shots letting the barrel cool for 5 minutes between shots.
1. 2824 fps
2. 2818 fps
3. 2830 fps
4. 2818 fps
5. 2824 fps

AVG was 2822 fps
ES was 12 fps
SD was 5 fps

I was very pleased with those numbers. I was very impressed with how close I was to the actual speed of the load. 7 FPS off the average is not too shabby just from verifying the speed from your drops at different ranges. I have been very pleased with this rifle and the 338 LM cartridge itself. Pretty dang fast out of a 26" barrel.

Hopefully this year, I will draw an elk tag or an oryx tag and get to bloody this rifle!

That one looks like a winner!

Thanks for posting, I always like to see what others are getting for velocity. FWIW, I get just about identical velocity in my 338 LM with 93gr Retumbo, 300OTMs, and a 28" tube.

That's great velocity from a 26 for sure. But pretty standard for you charge weight with a LM and a 300. I think its a keeper!

Good to see your drops match it too. 7 fps is not much of a tune. So this gets me wondering a few things. Just for my own curiosity and patterns I see.

What chrono?
What BC was used to a mile?

Thanks
Jeff

That's great velocity from a 26 for sure. But pretty standard for you charge weight with a LM and a 300. I think its a keeper!

Good to see your drops match it too. 7 fps is not much of a tune. So this gets me wondering a few things. Just for my own curiosity and patterns I see.

What chrono?
What BC was used to a mile?

Thanks
Jeff

I used an Oehler 35P which is about a pain in the butt to put together when you don't have a lot of time! I used the G7 BC for the OTMs that you suggested to use in a PM that you sent me a while back. It was right on the money.

Iron worker,
They have Oryx on the White Sand Missle Range here in New Mexico that roam the boundaries of the range and a lot of times get off the range. They have hunts for them on range and off range that you can put in for.

I used an Oehler 35P which is about a pain in the butt to put together when you don't have a lot of time! I used the G7 BC for the OTMs that you suggested to use in a PM that you sent me a while back. It was right on the money. QUOTE]

Ok, forgot about that pm. That's great, it confirms some of my matching data as well.

Thanks!
Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.