Finally my first semi longrange gun

alldayhunter

Well yesterday i traded my two extra guns for one and some cash. I was at a shop and found a savage model 12bvss in .22-250. It was marked at 450 and i got it for 400. Since i had the trade ins i got the gun and some cash. I put my zeiss 4.5-14X44 on it for now although i like the look of the 4200 tactical. I was planning on a .243 or a .25-06 but couldn't pass this rifle up. Tell me if this will be a good rifle to start with on small game. Also what will be my max effective range on small game like pdogs and ground hogs asuming the rifle is accurate. I am looking forward to shooting the rifle thanks for all the help.

That's an excellent price - please tell me it was a "used" rifle. I'm looking for one in .243, myself.

Sure it'll do for long range. You should try the heaviest bullet it will stabilize. The heavy ones are a little slow at the muzzle but overtake the faster little ones out there just a little ways. Plus they fight the wind a bit better.

Your Zeiss should be a great scope for that cartridge.

It was a little used. A guy bought it for a pdog hunt than some stuff happened and he wasn't able to go so he sold it back to the shop he bought it from. A guy at the shop bought the scope. He broke the barrel in and shot two boxes of shells through it. He had it for little under a month. It is in perfect shape i can't wait to shoot it.

Alldayhunter ,

Get some sierra 55gr. blitzkings -they have the best bc of the plastic tip bullets that a factory 1-12" barrel will stabilize.
You can get them in 500 count boxes.
Those and 8 lbs of hodgdon varget powder and you're set.

Buy a couple of hundred cases [brass] winchester is good and shoot the h--l out of it -a 22-250 will go a few thousand rounds before you'll need a new barrel.

A 22-250 makes a good 200+ yd. whitetail deer rifle -i wouldn't go after a huge trophy buck w/it but run of the mill bucks and does will go down pronto w/ the right bullet of coarse [nosler 60gr partition].They are a flatbase bullet and will stabilize great w/ your 1-12" twist.
I have been a fan of 22-250's since i was a teen -you will love shooting it -very low recoil and a lot of killing power w/ the pinpoint shots it's capable of.

A 'varminter' as they were known as in the early days is a good 400yd predator/varmint rifle.

There is a 22-250 bullet in my cabinet that has a wolfs name on it!!--Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts