Finally killed something in Colorado

mitchell

I spent the last three weekends shooting my DPMS 308 all the way out to 875 yards and was feeling very confident for the hunt I had coming up. Besides a bad wind call here and there I was hitting 8" square plates with crazy regularity.

Opening day came and we couldn't find a deer on the mountain anywhere. For the evening hunt we set up on a ridge top overlooking a deep draw and a west facing slope. After hours of glassing and only a few does to show for it we started to pack up as shooting light faded. When I stood to put my pack on I saw this guy 90 yards down the hill he had been bedded the whole time and we never saw him. A quick high shoulder shot had him on the ground and I was able to drive the truck right up to him.

All that time and money practicing longer shots maybe I should of spent some time shooting close.

Attachments

• deer.jpg
    deer.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 147
Congratulations on your deer! Thing about hunting is you never know what to expect the weeks prior. Plan for a long range shot and you'll find one up close. Only practice your short range shooting and you'll have an opportunity for a long shot or a very difficult stalk to get within your normal shooting distance. These are the things I find fun about hunting deer. Again, congrats, he looks like a nice deer to put in the freezer and on the wall.

Geb

Congrats on a nice buck!!! Take them where you can get them brother, practice at long range will only make you better at the other aspects of shooting. Practice out to 850yd makes every thing else a chip shot, and gives you no excuses...lol Good luck and happy hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.