Finally joined the family

Winchester 69, looks like a RCBS Rockchucker Supreme...I've heard good things about them. Since RCBS has now gone chinese I stay away.

What kind of press is the green one on the right? Does it work well?

It's a Redding purchased as part of a beginners kit. I bought it because the body angles a bit to the right making it easier to use. It is more of a right handed press than the Rock Chucker. Both the Redding and Rock Chucker are excellent presses.

This particular Redding didn't come with the ball on the handle - the next more expensive one does. I bought the 2-3/8" ball from Enco, stuck the press handle in my lathe, turned it down, threaded it, and screwed the ball on. The ball on the handle makes it much nicer to use.

Redding offers a ball handle as an option but doing it myself was both fun and less expensive.

I reload all my rifle ammo on the Redding.

The press on the left is a Dillon 550 which is used for all my handgun ammo.

Fitch

Great looking bench, nice craftsmanship.

Thanks.

I think you made the right choice to leave the sliding doors off...as soon as I looked at the plans the first thought that came to mind was I'd be sliding the doors left and right looking for something and everytime I needed something I'd be cursing the doors. Without them, at a glance you can see everything...makes it more accesible.

Exactly.

Fitch

mount your press very solid. I used the RCBS accesory base plate and it made a big difference.

order a chargemaster, you'll never be sorry.

also a forster long drop funnel for those really full cases

also a hornady LnL OAL gage, modified cases and comparator set.

also 2 shell holders for every caliber (one for the press, one for the hand priming tool).

also an rcbs hand priming tool (90200).

also a set of calipers

also an extra scale pan (metal, stay away from the plastic ones).

I could go on like this all day...

FITCH,
That bench is a beauty! I also considered the standing up vs. sitting down question. Being 6'4" I might not have enough lumber in the garage though!!!..Ha! Your post will help me a alot as I was going with 2x6 construction also.

I closed in the corner basement walls with OSB this weekend and prepped them for paint as well as scoped out some shelving kits from Target that may go nicely on each end to save me some time in the building process.

Headed to Cabela's probably this weekend to pick up my order, bullets and probably some powder so i can avoid any shipping fees.

Thanks for making me feel at home everyone! Don't be suprised if you get a PM from me with a question so embarassing that I don't dare post it up:rolleyes:

Junkie

264junkie, when you get your bench completed how about posting a pic or two. Good luck with it I'm sure it will be a dandy.

while you're at cabelas, get an rcbs trim mate prep center and don't forget the small & large rifle primer pocket brushes and uniformers, a lyman flashhole uniformer (the handle comes off and screw it into your trim mate), a VLD inside neck chamfer tool and an outside neck chamfer tool. These items are sold seperately.

hand prepping brass is sick, the trim mate is a life saver.

when you get home, make one of these varmint al steel wool spinners. I made mine with a brass pipecap, screw & nut to thread onto the trim mate.

Varmint Al's Handloading/Reloading Page

once you get all this stuff, feel free to pm me with questions on setting it all up...

like I said, I could go on like this all day...

Varmint Al's...it's a good read been there several times...picked up some good tips.

Welcome to the guild, your in for a ride now.

I think the reference to the helmet and plugs was to give your other half something to aim at.:D:D

Your right, there are no dumb questions in this game. Some get a little old at times, but then again not everyone was brought up loading their own ammo. Use the search function, read everything you can on what your working with, and you should be fine. Take loads from the internet with a grain of salt, and never use them before a thorough research and workup.

Good luck and be safe.

hand prepping brass is sick, the trim mate is a life saver.

once you get all this stuff, feel free to pm me with questions on setting it all up...

like I said, I could go on like this all day...

Thanks LL! I actually bit the bullet and ordered Lymans new case prep kit that comes in it's own zippered case! Has all the goodies including flashhole and primer pocket stuff. $$$$$ but hopefully it's worth it...I've never heard anything but good things about Lyman.

As for the Trim Mate....That will be a future purchase unless I can start selling some type of bodily fluid to make more $$:rolleyes:

I think it'll take the better part of 2 years before I can be set up like some of you guys! I've got an awful duck, goose, turkey, coyote, deer hunting habit that carves into my alone time budget...**** those critters!

Welcome to the guild, your in for a ride now.

I think the reference to the helmet and plugs was to give your other half something to aim at.:D:D

For some reason that same conclusion popped into my head last night driving home from work! You forgot the sheild to fend off brutal attacks when she finds in the middle of the night I've snuck out of bed to "just put a small batch together."

Your right, there are no dumb questions in this game. Some get a little old at times, but then again not everyone was brought up loading their own ammo. Use the search function, read everything you can on what your working with, and you should be fine. Take loads from the internet with a grain of salt, and never use them before a thorough research and workup.

Good luck and be safe.

Again, appreciate the invite for additional info. One thing I'll ask about because i've heard it both ways....Internet loads...trust or not trust? Is it a situation where you have to know the source and if so how much?
Thanks,
Junk

The set of good ear protectors with a chin strap is so that when your significant other starts yelling at you, you won't be distracted by hearing her and then when she walks over and attempts to yank them off the chin strap holds them on...Can't have no distractions when reloading...Can we.

The set of good ear protectors with a chin strap is so that when your significant other starts yelling at you, you won't be distracted by hearing her and then when she walks over and attempts to yank them off the chin strap holds them on...Can't have no distractions when reloading...Can we.

When the girl I am married to now and I first got together, she would come back and just sit by me. Not say a thing, just sit there to be "close", bless her heart. Finally I started keeping a pan of cases that needed to be chamfered sitting beside the bench, those little necked ones that eat up my hands. Well after a couple of times of going through the pan, she quit coming around except to let me know supper was ready. LOL

Now she just figures I will come eat when I get hungry, and I hardly see her at all back at the bench.

She is a keeper and I wouldn't trade her for anything. Never says a word about loading stuff or guns, just when she wants something we get it done and don't ask how much. LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.