Finally got to shoot the new rifle

mnhntr

I finally got out to shoot my new Savage LRP .260 Rem after 20 weeks of waiting for the rifle. I don't have the quality glass for it yet, so I mounted the Warne 20MOA base and Burris Extreme Tactical Rings and a cheap Bushnell scope and off to the range. I took 9 different loads of two different powders. Using Winchester 7mm-08 brass necked down and Federal match primers, I loaded some Varget and H4350. I topped it off with Berger 140gr VLDs. I was going to do a ladder test but the range is only 100 yds so I did some group tests. I forgot my sand bags and had to use a rolled up sweatshirt, not the best rest but it was okay. The groups would have been better with a better rest, but it gave me a starting point for loads. This target accutrigger takes some getting used to. I have a Ruger BH in .357 which is a single action with a trigger job and it is very light (<2 lbs) but this accutrigger makes that feel heavy. Over all with the 25 rds I put through it today so far I am very pleased with it. I will report more after the good glass gets mounted and some more load development and some long range shooting.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 102
Not too bad at all. Just remember to follow their break in recommendations to the letter and I'll bet within 50rds you see that tighten up nicely.

When you get some quality glass my bet is that between the two you cut those groups by half.

Between the new scope and a better rest the groups will definitely tighten up. I think your right about getting a few more rds through it also. I am going to get a better scope this week so hope to get out to the range soon after.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.