Finally got to shoot past 1000

Wile E Coyote

This past Saturday, I finally had the opportuinity to seriously shoot at steel at 1050y and at 1490y. Until now, 800+ was about the outer limit of what we could safely shoot. I would like to report that every shot hit within a 8" circle at 1490 and a smaller circle at 1000 but sadly, this was not the case. This morning I have a greater respect for those who shoot these distances AND hit their marks consistantly.

The rifle is no slouch. It is a SS Remington 700 in 7mm RM with a 26" 1/9 Hart barrel, blueprinted action, Jewell trigger and a few other "improvements" all set in a HS Precision PSV107 stock. On top, Talley one piece rings hold an older Huskemaw scope with the original turret graduated in clicks. The rifle gets a steady diet of Berger 140 & 168VLDs. I've tried a few 180s but haven't found the right load yet.

Saturday's shooting was done with the 168gn round; driven to a MV of 3020 by Retumbo powder and a CCI250 in Hornady brass. At 1050y I was able to put 7 out of 10 on the steel (about 16" square) with 4 directly hitting the 4" paint circle. I'm satisfied that I was able to hit it a few times considering I don't have the opportuinity to shoot like this often, just a few times each year at any distance over 500 yd or so.

The steel at 1490 was about 26" square with an 8" paint circle. Of the 10 rounds I fired here, 3 hit steel and 7 scared it (if you could scare a hunk of steel). The paint circle survived unscathed. Had the paint been 12" in diameter, the score would have been 2 'hits'. The positive in my mind is that all but 1 miss was left or right of the target. With the exception of that single round, all the rounds on steel held a horizontal line on either side of the paint. The misses off the target appeared to also be on that line. Better wind calling skills are needed and perhaps a better technique holding the rifle butt steady. I'll call it 50/50 for each. The one miss not in line was high as a result of ME not accurately setting up my PDA.

As I said earlier, I've been humbled and to those of you who shoot these distances and longer, regularly, with consistant results, my hat is off.

It it a humbling experience isn't it? I can remember way back when I shot at an honest 500yds for the first time... holy cow that's a long ways :D 10 years & more $$ than I care to admit later... I still have to calm myself down when when I'm on my range. I have steel @ 1060 & another I will set up at 750 or so... have a 48x 20 silhouette I intend to stand at a mile if I ever get my ducks in a row.

Thanks for the post, as it reminds me just how little I still know about the game. That is the challenge, & one I look forward too every day.

Congrats. That's really great especially for a first timer! 1,000yds is a pretty reasonable limit with a 7mm mag with the lighter bullets so even getting on steel at 1,490yds is quite a feat.

What many people don't understand is that the wind can cange 2,3,4 or more times between you and the target at such ranges which makes it a real bastard to deal with even with a great deal of practice.

Again, congrats.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.