Finally got my 338 Lapua

Greyfox

After a six month wait, Savage finally shipped my Savage 110 FCP 338Lapua. They must have completed their production run which seems to be once or twice a year. While I've been able to get all the necessary components to set it up but I'm not sure I'll have the time to use it this season, it's pretty late. I've limited myself to 1000 yards with my 6.5x284's and looking forward to extending my range. I am quite impressed with the fit, finish, and quality of workmanship. I hope it shoots as good as it looks. Won it at a Savage sponsored egg shoot, and got a 50% discount on any rifle from them.

Let us know how it shoots! I wanted the same rifle but got the Savage 111 LRH 338LM instead. Waiting for my scope rings to get here on Tuesday then off to the range. First impressions with the 111 LRH....VERY LIGHT rifle. I'll post a picture or two when I get it all set up.

Anyone know if the 110 FCP stock will fit on the 111 LRH 338LM?

Let us know how it shoots! I wanted the same rifle but got the Savage 111 LRH 338LM instead. Waiting for my scope rings to get here on Tuesday then off to the range. First impressions with the 111 LRH....VERY LIGHT rifle. I'll post a picture or two when I get it all set up.

Anyone know if the 110 FCP stock will fit on the 111 LRH 338LM?

Will do, good luck with your LRH. I understand the stock will fit but the barrel on the LRHis thinner than the FCP. That's the weight difference. between the two models.

Yes please let use know how both workout im looking the 338-378 but am being draw more towards the savage lrh. Looking forward to hearing your results.

Got the new Savage FCP 338 out to the range today. Loaded up 20 rounds. 14 with 89gr H1000, 3 at 89.5 and 3 at 90. Breaking in with one shot/ clean it was cleaning up fast after 8-9 rounds. Shot the rest for 3 shot groups at 100 yards. The 89 gr load was 1", the 89.5gr was .5" and the 90 gr, .4" with two shots just sbout in the same hole. Primers flattening some with 90 but there were no ejector marks or hard extraction. Seated the 300 gr Bergers .025 out of the lands. Looks like a shooter. I'll start refining and chronographing in a couple of weeks. I was very surprised with the recoil. Much lighter than I was expecting. It feels like a 300WSM. I was shooting in a t shirt. Pleasant to shoot. With the NF 5x22 G7 mounted it weighs 13 pounds.

Got the new Savage FCP 338 out to the range today. Loaded up 20 rounds. 14 with 89gr H1000, 3 at 89.5 and 3 at 90. Breaking in with one shot/ clean it was cleaning up fast after 8-9 rounds. Shot the rest for 3 shot groups at 100 yards. The 89 gr load was 1", the 89.5gr was .5" and the 90 gr, .4" with two shots just sbout in the same hole. Primers flattening some with 90 but there were no ejector marks or hard extraction. Seated the 300 gr Bergers .025 out of the lands. Looks like a shooter. I'll start refining and chronographing in a couple of weeks. I was very surprised with the recoil. Much lighter than I was expecting. It feels like a 300WSM. I was shooting in a t shirt. Pleasant to shoot. With the NF 5x22 G7 mounted it weighs 13 pounds.
Ours kicks like my 5.5 pound 7mm-08 shooting 140 grain bullets. Ours also weighs 14.8 pounds with 5 in the mag. Seems like its shooting great! Ive got the 280 grain LRX shooting an average of .3 MOA

Ours kicks like my 5.5 pound 7mm-08 shooting 140 grain bullets. Ours also weighs 14.8 pounds with 5 in the mag. Seems like its shooting great! Ive got the 280 grain LRX shooting an average of .3 MOA

Yea, I'm pretty happy with it. I think I'm going to try seeing what happens kicking it up in .5 gr increments and do some chrono work for velocity and ES testing. I'm glad it's shooting with H1000, I have 8# of it. Maybe I'll have her ready for my mulie, whitetail hunt in Alberta in November. Real long shots possible where I hunt. Won't make it for Wyoming next week. I'll use my 6.5-284.

I worked up in .5 grain increments until i got ejector marks or heavy bolt lift which in my case was 85 grains of Retumbo. Then backed it down to 84 and worked up in .2 grain increments until i hit a node. For me it was 84.4 and i worked it up in the summer so i shouldnt have a problem in cooler weather. Anyway good luck next week in Wyoming!

Ok glad you mentioned no ejector marks, thats what I've got with my 110.
I dont have a lot of rounds through it yet and still refining load options.
My question is why does it do that?

Ok glad you mentioned no ejector marks, thats what I've got with my 110.
I dont have a lot of rounds through it yet and still refining load options.
My question is why does it do that?

The mark is caused by the pressure of the case pressing against the plunger button. It's not always an indicator of too high a pressure since I have a few rifles that do this all the time with the fired empties. Cratered /flattened primers and/or a sticky bolt are a better indicator of high pressure. In my opinion. When the shiny ejector spot doesnt show up under normal pressures, but appears when increasing charge size, it can be an indicator of higher than normal pressure.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts