finally got a long(ish) shot!!

Daniel Ludwig

well i had waited for a month and finally got the shot i was after, not super-long or anything, but 384 is a long way for a .243 with no target turrets. i have taken 5 deer at this range now, and am becoming quite good at it. the deer enter the pasture on my property from the same path every night, so its just a question of getting the right deer and the right wind conditions. i watched 3 enter the edge of the pasture and begin feeding, so i grabbed my rifle and set up(shooting from a bipod) for the shot. I waited for one of the deer to clear away from the others, and it wasnt long before one did, stopping facing me with its head up. i held the duplex at the base of the deer's head, took my time and touched off a round. i recovered my sight picture quick enough to see the deer drop. the bullet hit right where the neck goes into the body, killing the deer pretty much instantly. it really does feel good to make a clean one shot kill. the load is a 100gr Sierra SBT loaded with 42.5gr H4350 and lit by a Winchester LR magnum primer. rifle is a off the shelf 700 ADL .243 topped with a 4-12AO Leupold. it should be noted that i shoot that distance all the time, i have a 12" round gong made from a piece of 3/4" flange material, and i shoot it at 2 spots on the farm pretty much year round, so deer in those places are pretty much toast.
really made my day
Daniel J. Ludwig

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts