Finally getting close

winmagman

Got out this morning for a little range time with my 7 saum. Left the house about 7:45 am, overcast, 53 degrees out, with about a 7-10 mph breeze. I had 5 three shot groups to try with each H4831sc and Re-22 under the 160 gr Accubond.

I started with H4831sc fired 4 foulers/sight in rounds at 59.5 grs. then to the groups starting at 59.8 grs and working up to 61.0 grs in .3 gr steps. Velocities ran from 2840ish at 59.8 to 2920ish at 61.0. ES was best at 60.4 (13) worst at 59.8 (24). Accuraccy was best at 60.4 and 60.7 but was only around 1". Needless to say I wasn't overly impressed.

So after cleaning the rifle I moved on to the Re-22. Fired 4 foulers at 59.0 then started goups at 59.3 working up to 60.5 in .3 gr steps. Unfortunately by now it's 9:30 and the wind has picked up enough that it shakes the portable shooting bench every time it gusts, but I was already there and set up so I shot anyway. Velocities ran from 2890ish at 59.3 grs to 2940ish at 60.5 grs. ES was best at 60.5 (5) and worst at 59.6 (40). The 59.3 and 59.6 groups were over 1.5", the 59.9 group was about 1" and I was begining to get discouraged thinking this rifle wasn't going to shoot the 160 Accubond. But the 60.2 gr group went into .462 with an ES of 11 and the 60.5 gr group went into .606 with an ES of 5.

I wish I would have started with the Re-22, before the wind picked up, darn tough shooting when everyting is shaking in the wind. All groups were only 3 shots at 100 yds and further testing and verification is still needed, but overall I'm pretty pleased with the way things turned out, at least I feel like I'm getting close.

Chris

Winmagman are these the only loads youve tried so far??
I ask because I just got a 7mm SAUM and I haven't done any load developement yet but I did sight my scope in with a free box of 150 core locks and did a little break in.
I will be trying 140 Accubonds and Tsx's along with some 150 SMK's once I get into load developement.
If you don't mind maybe we could share data on the accubonds since your using the 160's and I the 140's.
Thanks!

I've got no problem sharing info, I think thats what most of us are here for.

So far the 160 Accubond is the only bullet I've tried, I picked it specificly for a long range deer bullet that will still perform if a big boy steps out up close like. Load developement has been a little slow as I'm working 6&7 days a week, but I'll post results as I get them.

I doubt I'll try the 140 AB if the 160 works out, I like the heavy for caliber idea. If I'm going to shoot a 140 gr bullet I'll break out my 6.5-284. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Although if Ric Horst doesn't quit posting those spectacular groups with the 162 Amax I might have to try them, just a little concerned about up close performance.

Chris

I may end up going the 160 route but I don't intend on using this rig for much past 400 yards. I know the 140's work fine for up close at 7mag velocities and the SAUM meets them so I should be fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.