Finally decided...now how much???

Greywolf18

I have finally decided what I want to do for a custom. I have written on here several times looking for advice for a custom build. I have an older model 70 in 30-06, and another one in .270. Since the 30-06 had pitted due to flooding in a basement I want to redo it. I want to take it and make it into a varminter in 6mm Remington. I want a 26-28" heavy barrel. I was just wondering how much it would be to get the gun worked over and rechambered and accurized. I was thinking a 1-13 twist and will be shooting 75g V-Max's. I would really like this gun to be under 1/2" MOA shooting these bullets so I am looking for a reputable gunsmith, but at the same time I do not want to take out a 2nd mortgage to get it. Still haven't decided on a stock either, any suggestions?

The next project would be converting my 270 into a 280 or a 6.5-06, but that will have to wait until my wife wins the lotto and lets me do it :D There's nothing wrong with the 270, just want something different.

Thanks again for the advice everyone!!!gun)

My only thought is that I'd find a smith that was close, so I could save all the shipping charges.

Where are you located?

AJ

I live in eastern NC, and I couldn't find any good smiths around here. The only gun place around here is kind of expensive, and I wasn't too impressed with their shop and they are kind of expensive. I don't know anyone that has done custom stuff around here, and after reading on here I've really become interested in doing longer range stuff. I figure the way prices for regular factory guns have sky rocketed, I can spend a little bit more and get a much better shooting gun and get some use out of a gun I already have.

I would send it to one of this site's sponsoring gunsmiths. I don't think you can go wrong there. The cost of the work is going to be relative to what you want. The smiths will all be close in cost. How much it will cost is going to depend on how customized you make it and what components you use.

contact any of the smiths on here. They'll give you an accurate price.

It'll come down on what you really want to end up with.

A recommendation would be to get started soon, time seems to beome a consideration sooner than one would think.

One of the absolute best LR smiths around is in Gastonia NC, Dave Tooley of Tooley Custom Rifles. Dave is also "Top Recommended Smith" at 6mmbr.com. He has pioneered many of the LR rigs and specialty equip. It is little known that he is often a go to guy for many for testing new bullets and such.

He built my first LR rig and a couple others for me. He is very good.

Leonard Baity at N. Wilkesboro NC is also very good LR smith. Baity Custom Gunworks. Leonard is a pistol guild top 100 smith for the US and he rifle work is absolutely tops also.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.