Final Finnish?

RangerBrad

Have any of yal used these bullets that are for breaking in a rifle? I read them touted as an excellent way to break in a rifle in a rifle shooting book by Tubb. Would they assist accuracy if shot through a barrell that has recently been broke in, say 100 rounds through it? Thank's, Brad

I used this system on a Remington Sendero in 25-06 that had a really rough bbl and drug copper bad. The throat on this gun was also checked pretty bad. The system cleaned up the throat quit well. As for the bore it went from pulling copper on the lands only to pulling in the whole barrel. I also lost about 100 fps with the same load after the process. I would use them on a gun again to clean a checked throat but I dont think anyone could talk me into using them on a premium bbl. I would also use them again on a rough factory bbl only if normal break in didnt seem to be doing what i wanted. Hope this helps some.

No fear!

Fired the Final Finish process on a new 338 RUM barrel. She shoots lights out and is not prone to copper fouling.

Wish I would have done a before/after comparison.

My Lilja 30" 3 groove 8 twist 270 AM barrel started dusting my go to bullet so a did a partial Tubbs on it. Used only 1/2 of the Tubbs bullets in each category completely omitting the roughest group.

Fired 6 shots post Tubbs with no dusters. Was pleased.

Zero didn't change.
POI didn't change.
No bullets dusted.

Was feeling confident enough to paste a penny @ 200 yds to confirm zero. Too tight to ruin a dime. Besides a penny is a bit bigger.:)) Third shot is a bit off of optimum but still in the 0.3 MOA range.

th_Shot-3.jpg

I used them on a 're-bored' barrel (300RUM bored to 338) since the guy who cut the bore did not feel comfortable hand lapping it. He was afrad of ruining the neck area and muzzle area. It shot pretty good but fouled fairly bad and was a b!?ch to clean. I decided to run the FF system. It fouls a bit less but cleans up 10 times easier. Velocity and such is the same. From what I have seen and heard, it seems like different shooters will see different results in different rifles. Between what I have seen and heard, I would recommend them for some applications. More than not.

Just my .02

M

I have seen this topic come up a few other times on here, I believe they called it "Fire Lapping". What I got out of the discussion was that a decent number of members that spoke out on this subject did not recommend this method if you were dealing with a custom barrel. I have a Krieger barrel on my .308 and I would not use it for fear of messing it up. My pockets are not that deep so the investment in the barrel out weighs the possible benefits that products like this may deliver. I prefer to stick to older methods that have proven themselves to not cause ANY damage. Not that this method does that, I am just to nervous to try it after what information I have seen and read.

Great information fells, I also have a krieger and it is shooting well with about 100 rounds through it so, I doubt I would use this product at this point however on premium hand lapped barrells it was recommended to only use the 3 finer of the 5 grits offered giving more of a hone. Higher velocities with decreasd pressure were stated to be a benifit of this system however, none of yal mentioned seeing this. Brad

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.