Field rests

Ian M

We all have to rest our rifles when we make long shots. Harris bipods and a rear sandbag do a great job for many styles of hunting and types of rifles, particularly prone shots.
There are some hunts where Harris's are a little too cumbersome, catching on vegetation or just not high enough.
I have been shooting off Underwood shooting sticks for several years and consider them a great tool. Light, quick to setup, very reliable. Stoney Point makes a similar set of sticks.
Recently I started carrying a Stoney Point telescoping bipod called a Polecat, and the more I use it the more I like it. The Polecat is a little bigger and bulkier than the sticks but it will also do more. I really like it for sitting shots, where vegetation eliminates prone shooting. It is extremely sturdy, quick to adjust and useable as a walking staff. The ultimate set-up is to put the Polecat on a 25-45 degree angle under the forend and a set of sticks angled in the opposite direction under the buttstock. I can take my hands right off the rifle and it does not move at all.
Alternately I found that if I can get my back against a tree or brush I don't need the buttstock rest. I like to take an analytical look at the crosshair movement when I set up on these field rests - the Polecat is allowing a very steady hold from the sitting position - virtually no movement at 100-200 yards if you do your part. We are making hits on large
Polecats and sticks are not for extreme range but I have found them to be good hunting tools for out to 600 yards for my rifles and ability.

Great idea. Here is another taken in part from the US military. Use a camera tripod.

A front rest bag is put on a mount that attaches to the tripod. The rear of the rifle can also have a monopod type rest or held by you. With this setup, you are supported about 90% the same as off a bench. Elevation and shooting direction can be quickly, easily and quietly changed and locked. I feel this is more stable then shooting sticks.

Great for grassy or uneven terrain. A little bulky but if you are on post over a clear cut or similar, you will need additional equipment anyways so the tripod is not that big of a hassle.

Mid height ones are perfect for seated shooting. Fill the front bag with poly beans and the weight is very little.

Give it a try. May work well for you...

Jerry

There is an article in one of last fall's "Accurate Rifle" that shows using a tripod as Jerry speaks to for a front rest and using Stoney Point Shooting Stix for a rear rest. It allowed one to be very mobile and shoot from a small, lite shooting stool.

The author remarked it worked great and had some pix of the set up. It is something I have yet to try, but idea looks real good.

Nodak7mm

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.