FFP Tactical Scope???

joseph

I am having a hard time finding a FFP Tactical scope which is "about" 4-20x50mm for around $8oo or less. Is there such a scope with Mil-dot or something similar?

I almost went for a Wonder, Falcon or a Leupold VX III, but I'm told they are all SFP.

joseph

Weaver is supposed to have one out about now.

They told me that it is better than the older discontinued tactical. I have one of the older ones and think its worth its weight in gold!

Check with SWFA price was to be less than 800???

The Falcons are most definitely FFP... The Falcon 5-25 is probably your best bet in that price range (with that much magnification).

Note: Just make sure you box test the scope you end up with -- lots of folks have had no problems; but I had a 4-14 whose click adjustments were about 20% too small.

A good friend of mine has a falcon menace in a 4-14 x 44 that is a FFP scope. I was rather impressed with the optical quality. I hate to say it but is was equivalent to my Leupold mark 4's for less than half the price. (no where near the nightforce though).

The only complaint I had was that the magnification adjustment ring was rather stiff & hard too adjust (which may loosen in time) & the windage & elevation adjustments were really fine & rather spongy. I'm not sure what reticle he got (since they have a few) but it looked like it would be useful once you got familiar with it. (kinda a modified TMR)

All in all an excellent scope for the money & is probably worth more than what they are selling them for.

From what I understand they are hard to find & sell out fast, so don't hesitate!

I don't want to hijack this thread but which of the 2 (SFP and FFP) is preferred and why?

Depends on what you prefer.

SFP the reticle gets smaller(thinner) in comparison to the target as magnification is increased. That can be a good thing.

FFP the reticle gets bigger(thicker) in comparison to the target as magnification is increased. That can be a bad thing. (Can cover the target)

FFP ranging and using dots for drops can be done at any magnification level. This is a good thing.

SFP ranging and using dots for drops can only be done at a specific calibrated magnification level. This is a good/bad thing depending on preference.

With the older weaver I can comfortably shoot at a 6" circle target at 880 yds on 4.5 power. In fact, I did it yesterday with the hit falling in the group shot at 14X.

Can't do that with a SFP scope.

If the reticle went more than 5 mils it would be a complete dream. Need at least 10 mils.

Weaver is supposed to have one out about now.

They told me that it is better than the older discontinued tactical. I have one of the older ones and think its worth its weight in gold!

Check with SWFA price was to be less than 800???
Falcon makes one in the first focal plane for way less than 800.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.