FFP Question

sheep dog

I am about to purchase a Vortex viper pst 4x16x50 in FFP but I am wondering if its really needed. I have and use a quality LRF and I am planning to have vortex to make me a custom turret in yards so would the FFP still offer any advantage over the SFP version?

If you are going to use any type of retical hold over FFP is the way to go. If only dialing just the size of the cross hairs will change non FFP.

I do not like FFP scopes. Had a vortex FFP and got rid of it for a sfp.I do not like the way the crosshairs look on higher power at all..

Having the reticle in the first focal plane (FFP) has many advantages and a few drawbacks. As already mentioned, if you will be using reticle holds, then FFP is almost ALWAYS beneficial as you can use whatever magnification you want and the holds will remain the same. One of the biggest complaints about FFP optics is that for the reticle to remain useful at the lower end of the magnification, the reticle has to be made thicker so it is viewable at the low end. This typically means that the reticle will look unusually thick at max magnification. However, I've not found this to be a problem in practice with several different FFP scopes including Nightforce, Vortex, USO, Leupold, and Steiner. I was still able to shoot itty bity groups with either scope. The specific model Vortex you ask about I don't have any hands on experience with, but I doubt you'll have a problem with it being FFP.

Geb

Yeh very thick at max power. Not what I like at all for precision long range shooting.When you use a rangefinder and dial a scope it has no advantage only disadvantage.All the guys I know shooting long range are using SFP scopes

Well all the guys excluding USA, USMC, USAF, USNV, FBI HRT, and every other acronym I can think of but what do they know right.

Thanks for the information guys. After looking at some more info and taking your post into consideration I will get the FFP. There are simply too many people using it to ignore and the thing I did not consider was quick hold over for windage and followups.

Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.