Few spots open for my annual Texas wild hog hunt

Jeff In TX

I've got a few spots open for any interested in joining us on my annual Texas wild hog hunt for the for the weekend of January 24/25th – 27th at the Bigwoods Ranch in East Texas. Experience the THRILL!

The Bigwoods sits on over 8000 acres and the hunt is an all inclusive and price covers everything including great meals, and top notch lodging. The also gut, skin and quarter your hogs for $20.00 and offer butchering services for an additional cost.

The cost of the hunt for this year is $485.00 (1/25 thru 27th) or $585.00 (1/24 thru 27th) before any discounts. If you bring kids, they're an additional $100.00 for the weekend. They are now offering unlimited hogs. Most everyone who is coming will be hunting 24th thru the 27th to get the extra day of hunting.

The hunt is always a great time and last year we averaged about 85% success rate with 11 hogs out off 13 hunters plus two bobcats. We also had multiple hogs that were missed (I believe there were 8 hogs missed) as well as a couple of missed bobcats and coyotes. The Bigwoods also has a covered 500 yard rifle range. Most stands we hunt offer shots in the 100 to 200 yard range, but in reality you could shoot over 1000 yards on a lot of the stands.

I always encourage folks who attend to bring a buddy or their sons or daughters. If your interested in joining us this year send me a PM.

but in reality you could shoot over 1000 yards on a lot of the stands.

I and my son might be interested in coming in the middle of May if we could work something out to ensure that the stand was such that there was at least 1K of open space to shoot.

I will keep you in mind.

Jim

I and my son might be interested in coming in the middle of May if we could work something out to ensure that the stand was such that there was at least 1K of open space to shoot.

I will keep you in mind.

Jim

Jim,

I'm not sure you'd want to hunt hogs in the middle of May in Texas, by that time of year we're pushing temps in the high 80's mid 90's. But there is a lot of stands that would offer wide open shots.

If you ask my one buddy from Alaska who comes out every year for the hunt, he'll tell you he took his first hog at 1300 yards. Yep he'd say, 1300 yards is what the range finder said, I got out of my stand stalked the 1st 1225 yards and took him at 75 yards, but he was really a 1300 yard hog! LOL!

pushing temps in the high 80's mid 90's.

My son goes to school in upstate New York. He would love some warm weather when school is out. I am originally from Alabama and wouldn't mind a little heat myself.

We will see how things go and what happens over the next few months and how schedules run.

$585 to kill a hog? Guess I'm lucky I only pay $400 dollars for a year round lease near victoria, tx where I live and it is about 1000 acres. Me my dad and 2 other guys have been on this place since I was 5 or 6 and I'm 28 now. Luckily the guy never has changed the price. We have so many hogs out here I get tired of messing with them and can't imagine paying to hunt them, but I guess it isn't like that everywhere. It is ridiculous how fast these hogs populate a place. It isn't unusual to see 30 or more in a group on our place, and I have shot several running deer off of my feeders. Looks like a root plow went through some places. I went to a farmers place with my cousin one year where he invited a bunch of guys to come hunt them with dogs because they were destroying his corn field.....They had piles of dead hogs and were burning them. I couldn't believe it. One of my buddies has a place near Tivoli TX that is **** near surrounded by water that we hunt on. You talk about big pigs. This place is scary with all the palmetos you can't see very far in front of you when walking this place. They killed one hog that weighed 700 lbs on this place. Some of these hogs run into the acres of cain along the bay when you shoot them.....is pretty scary going after them. A lot of the hogs on his place have big tusks and seem a lot more aggressive. They tried to hunt this place with dogs once, but they got on a big boar and it killed almost every dog the guy had. Well you guys have fun and be careful....promise you there are plenty of them to go around in TX ;)

Justin

Hey Jeff,

While I can't say that I will be able to come hunt with you all, I might still be able to make it up there just to visit and put faces to names. Our place is only a short drive from there and the grandson and I could easily slip up for an hour or so visit. I been wanting to head up there to see how it is laid out anyway.

There sure is some good river bottom in that area.

I will keep you in mind.

Jim

Too many rattlesnakes in May for me. Feb is perfect. I will be in the hill country Feb 3 to 8! Pork is where it is at.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts