Few Questions on Bedding Before I Start...

Daddy Justin

I am ready to take the plunge and bed my Weatherby Synthetic in 30.06. But I have a few questions that I still have through all of the research I have done.

- Why not just screw the barrel to the stock with the regular bolts instead of cutting the heads off other bolts and taping the barrel in place? Books that I have read just screw it in place, but here, you tape or tie.

- Do I need a barrel pad? 2 inches?

- Do I need to cut out material behind the lug as you would do with a wooden stock?

- What is the best tool for inletting, Does a sharp chisel work on a synthetic or just grind it out carefully with a drill?

Thanks for all of your help. I will keep you updated as I go.

Justin

[ QUOTE ]
- Why not just screw the barrel to the stock with the regular bolts instead of cutting the heads off other bolts and taping the barrel in place? Books that I have read just screw it in place, but here, you tape or tie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tying or wraping with surgical tubing will hold the action in the stock firmly enough to get a good fit but if the stock is bowed at all in the action area the screws may flattent the stock turning it into a spring that can bear against the action even after the bedding hardens. If the action is held in place with surgical tubing the bedding will harden and then when the screws are tightened the stock will NOT flex against the action.

That is my understanding of it anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
Do I need a barrel pad? 2 inches?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Free float your barrel and dont worry about the pad. If it is a standard weight BBL you dont have enough weight to worry about.

[ QUOTE ]
Do I need to cut out material behind the lug as you would do with a wooden stock?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just did my brothers synth stock last week and I did. I used the dremel and a 1/8" ball cutter and freehanded a series of grooves infront of the lug area as well as behind the lug area so the bedding had some thickness and a little more surface area to grip.

I'm not a professional gunsmith but I hope this answers some of your questions.

Just a follow up. I finished glassing the stock and scope bases, (boy were they bad), free floated the barrel and lapped the scope. Everything looks great and as soon as I reload some ammo and get to the range, I will give another follow up. I did learn when using the surgical tubing, to not wrap too tightly. I did and it pulled the action over to the right of the stock. Took me a few minutes to figure out what happened. After I loosened the tubing, everything was perfect.

Glad to hear it worked out fine. Let us know how it shoots when you get a chance. Do you have any "before" targets to compare to so you can see what you did for yourself?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.