Feral Cats: The Australian Solution

Geezer

Australians have come up with a novel solution to the millions of feral cats roaming the outback - eat them.

The felines are the descendants of domestic pets and kill millions of small native animals each year.

A recent Alice Springs contest featured wild cat casserole. The meat is said to taste like a cross between rabbit and, perhaps inevitably, chicken.

BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Australians cook up wild cat stew

Sounds like a good secret ingredient for the next Iron Chef:America.

Not much left to eat after the 6mm + 55 grainer vs. Kitty confrontation. I guess you could call that 'wild cat casserole'! ~JT

Geezer ,

I saw a program on PBS -i think- showing the devastating effects of feral cats.
There was a group of people who were live trapping many of the little walabees [?spelling] ,birds and even reptiles due to the feral cats killing every little creature they could.
They were trapping all these animals to ensure their future existence b/c the cats have driven many to near extinction.

Is there a bounty on them there ?

They also showed some stats -were a university in pennsylvania kept tabs of the number of birds killed there -average 7 birds killed per 24 hour period.
Multiply that times 365 !
Nationwide here in america feral cats kill literally millions of birds.

Wisconsin tried to open a hunting season on them and the cat-lovers freaked out -no way ..

There was/is a CAT forum on accuratereloading --man did some of those threads get heated =way funny.

If i see one way out in the woods -bang !

Called in a huge one in georgia ,when i first saw it i laughed -the louder i called the faster he ran in -then i stopped calling thinking he would make a good decoy .When he'd lose interest i'd give him a sqeek or two and he's hang around looking for the sound -until i couldn't resist seeing what my 221 fireball would do..
They are tuff !

Mike,
We didn't try to get a hunting season just the right to shoot them without any repercussions, if we were out in the woods. Some of it started with a dnr fish hatchery worker that killed one in the fh and was fired for it.
At the spring hearings the cat lovers were out and worried that they would see pickup trucks filled with dead cats driving around town. Hard to believe people that dumb are alive.
I do know of a friends relative that has a nice quilt made from cat hides. Don't know if he ever ate any. ;-)

We had a Fish and Game Officer tell us to shoot them if they were further than 100 yards from a house. The cats (both feral and domestic) were hammering the pheasant and quail populations... along with doing some serious damage to duckling survival rates. Here kitty, kitty... bang! ~JT

In Wyoming they are listed in the Game and Fish rules as a predator. A stray cat can be taken at any time with any weapon, of course not in city limits. If they are out of their yard, they are stray:)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.