feet per second gain per in on a muzzloader

ericmeverson

I'm looking at getting a cab accura v2 long range with a 30 inch barrel and just wondering how much feet per I will gain with it vs the 27 inch barrel.

They said you can get a full burn with magnum charges and 150 fps gain.gun) not sure how that would work but that's what cva is claiming.

Most rifles will get a complete burn with magnum charges. Some shooting pellets may have issues but, most 26" and 28" barrels ignite the entire charge. Loose propellant ignites and burns completely (in most cases). If you were to shoot T7, its recommended to reduce the 150gr charge by 15%.

Blackhorn 209 when used closer to the maximum charge of 120grs volume and the proper breech plug, will normally provide you with more FPS.

Heavier bullets are better for longer ranges, as they stabilize better at longer range. Just my 2¢

I agree with Encore. I've been using 300 gr bullets for the last 2 hunting seasons. Looking at various ballistics tables, once you pass 100 yds or so, the 300gr bullet has more retained energy and less drop than a 250 gr version of the same bullet. I use nothing but BH 209(110 gr), a 300 gr Harvester PT Gold Bullet with their Black Crush Rib sabot. Great accuracy and outstanding terminal performance. Killed several animals this year including a 265 lb Aoudad at 125 yds.

75 fps gain for me when I tested a 30" LDR against a 27" Accura V2.gun)
DSCN3785.jpg

A 30 inch barrel in a box blind or a small pop up can be awkward to handle and not sure what the extra 30 fps gets you in the field. Pretty small percentage gain.

my hawken has a 32" barrel but with the heavier wood stock, it doesnt feel as long/barrel heavy as some of the inlines do.

my seating pressure is very consistent and with using double thumbs over the end of the ramrod, its pretty hard to load is a whole lot heavier than the previous shot. Especially with a powerbelt.

In the end, if you shooting max loads, that 30" barrel might be the ticket for better burn, but not likely.

Any decent modern in-line doesn't need 30" of barrel for any reason, unless it has a poor ignition system. Many of the rifles made that state it has a 28" barrel, are also including the length of the breech plug.
I know shooters who are shooting 100grs. BY WEIGHT, that's 143grs volume, from custom rifles and using 209 primers, who's barrels are only 25". Long range modern in-line muzzleloader shooters don't use 30" barrels and they're shooting to 1,000yds accurately. Adding 2" overall to a barrel, doesn't make it a long range or better rifle or, burn the propellant better.

SPECIAL NOTE: DO NOT ATTEMPT SHOOTING MORE THAN 120grs VOLUME OF BH209 IN PRODUCTION RIFLES. FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURER'S INSTRUCTIONS.

Thanks guys your really helping me out with my decision on which gun I want. I think I'll go with the 27 standard barrel. That'll get me out to 250 yrds fine. Hopfully the deer will come. Out at were I lasered it 208 yrds.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts