Feds posing as AR buyers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MontanaRifleman, Feb 24, 2013.

1. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

This is not a 2nd A or political thread. Just a heads up. Have no idea how true it is but found this ad on ARMSLIST, so I thought I would post it FYI.

THERE ARE FEDS POSING AS BUYERS Who contact you and make arrangements to buy your AR or lower receiver, then when they meet up will look it over and find some trivial detail that they say is a deal breaker, and with great apology they back out without buying. They never intended to buy it they are just keeping tabs on who has what. The person who contacted me got me mixed up with other buyers and it was obvious he was checking out a list of people.

2. tinman13kup

tinman13kup Well-Known Member

That doesn't make much sense. When it's put up for sale, EVERYBODY knows you have it, and since it is for sale, they should also know you won't have it later. Not only that, they won't know who you sold it to anyhow unless it's a ffl transfer

When it comes to gunbroker, or any other gun-for-sale site, a simple monitor of who sold what and who bought it is readily available. I would think it's easier for the FBI/Batfe to perform searches of past sales of whatever model if that was the objective. It's somewhat backwards, since normally it's a search of a name to see what firearms were bought.

3. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

Maybe nothing to it but if there was some truth to it, I think it would be to trip someone up on a legality.