federal primers in winchester brass is it safe?newbe

manhoer

I am new to reloading and was wondering if it was safe or recomended to use federal primers in wincester brass.I'm loading 223 have perchased the brass but canot find any win primers only fed availeble.should I take back the brass and exchange it or dose it realy matter?I want to do it right.

Youll be just fine. Heres an analogy for you;
Can you only shoot Winchester brand bullets in your Winchester rifle? NO can use any brand you want, right. You just have to try a few brands to see wich works best with your rifle/load. Brand means nothing, size does.

thanks.probably a stupid question but better safe than sorry

Not a stupid question! Guessing is stupid. Asking questions isn't. Ya done good! :)

As has been said, you can shoot Federal, CCI, Remington, <whatever> primers in Winchester brass.

However, while the brand doesn't make a difference, the type of primer, regular or magnum, pistol or rifle, does make a difference.

Highly recommended that you pick up a Speer reloading manual, start on page 1 and read all the way to the reloading data. There is so much information in there you will find useful.

Fitch

Not a stupid question! Guessing is stupid. Asking questions isn't. Ya done good! :)

As has been said, you can shoot Federal, CCI, Remington, <whatever> primers in Winchester brass.

However, while the brand doesn't make a difference, the type of primer, regular or magnum, pistol or rifle, does make a difference.

Highly recommended that you pick up a Speer reloading manual, start on page 1 and read all the way to the reloading data. There is so much information in there you will find useful.

Fitch

+1, you did good. and like mentioned above, theres alot of usefull info in load books, they explain alot. and like we both said brand doesnt matter, size does. Look in your load book, and see what primers they recomend for your caliber.
Also burn rate charts and conversion tables are handy, and theyll be in there too

Fitch

When I first read this, I thought of several sarcastic remarks. It seems like such an obvious thing. Then I remembered sitting in my one bedroom apartment twenty years ago wondering the same darn thing. :rolleyes: No one to ask so I did just what Fitch suggested. My first manual was the Speer. (has great pictures) I read it cover to cover several times over. Thank God for the internet! I'm glad people have a place to ask those kinds of questions and guys like Fitch who will actually treat them with some respect. I need to take a lesson or two in that.
Tom

Just a little friendly advise...whatever you do don't ask something like that over on snipers hide...they will harass you into throwing your reloading gear in the trash. Everyone here has always been great with me and my newbie questions. Now I he moved on to novice questions.

thanks to everyone I have a reloading manual but it was not specific on the question I asked. thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.