Federal Nickle cases in 338 RUM

Ultramag45

I was shooting my new custom Rifle Today from Shawn Carlock... 338RUM I have reloaded all nickle cases in this rifle... I use brass in another semi custom 338 RUM( My old rifle)... It didnt shoot the accubonds very well. shot 91 92 93 grs of rl22 behind the 225 NAB.. at the end of my session, just for giggles I picked out 2 of my old brass loads and shot them in the new rifle... they shot in the same hole.. is it coincidence or does brass shoot better... I shot the same load in nickle and couldnt even put it in an inch.... any explanation on this one.... gun)

I for one don't like nickel brass. It tears up my dies, doesn't seal well in the chamber, and won't shoot for me as well as brass cases. Tried it in my 270 WSM and could not get the shiny nickel cases to shoot well so i pulled the bullets of the rest of the box and trashed them. I think this pretty ammo is just for looks.

I understand that nickel is harder than the steel in my dies and harder than the steel in my barrel. Kinda like using a stainless steel brush to clean your barrel. Basically a no-no. :D

JM .02

Yes it can make a difference. Different brand cases weight differently, and therefor have more or less capacity.

You usually have to rework your powder charge a bit to get the same accuracy/velocity with different cases, but its usually a small difference.

I dont like or use nickel cases either.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts