Federal Gold Medal Match part 2 (155)

Michael Eichele

The rifle range, or archery range or behind the co
If anyone wants to duplicate the Federal GMM 155 grain load, it can be done this way:

46.0 grains of VARGET and Federal 210 GMM primmers will match the velocity and group of the factory loaded ammo. Also 2.775" OACL. Due to changes in lot #'s in primmers and powder alike, and case weights, it may not duplicate it exactly the same for everyone, but with a little adjustments one can perfect it. Load it a little more, a little less, seat the bullets father, the list is long for perfecting it. For me it was adding .5 a grain and seating them to 2.830 and the loads went from an average of .617 to an average of .394 with a gain in velocity. Oh and it is much cheaper this way!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
I am still working on the 168 grain loads and have not had the chance to test all the IMR powders. What I have found though is that they are using 44.0 grains of powder, and 44.0 grains of RL-15 duplicated the group and velocity. I deducted .5 a grain and seated the 168s to 2.830 and it shoots in the .020's all day. They are not using RL-15, but it seems to duplicate their loads exactally.
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.