Federal Brass

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by ilscungilli, Feb 24, 2007.

1. ilscungilli

ilscungilli Well-Known Member

I have been loading some once fired Federal brass (fired in my 700 7mm), and have read all sorts of negative comments about this brand of brass (originally Federal premium loads). Most people seem to think that the brass is soft, has loose primer pockets, and smaller case capacity than, say Winchester brass. I'm a little concerned as I start to get near the maximum loads (I haven't seen any flattened primers yet).

2. AJ Peacock

AJ Peacock Well-Known Member

How much Water capacity do they have (prior to resizing) ?

My Norma 7mm Rem Mag brass hold 86.3 gr of water on average.

Don

3. ilscungilli

The Federal, once fired, no trimming hold around 84.9 grains. The cases that I neck sized, trimed to 2.490", and fired again, seem to hold around 84.0 grains.

4. uncleB

uncleB Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I have been loading some once fired Federal brass (fired in my 700 7mm), and have read all sorts of negative comments about this brand of brass (originally Federal premium loads). Most people seem to think that the brass is soft, has loose primer pockets, and smaller case capacity than, say Winchester brass. I'm a little concerned as I start to get near the maximum loads (I haven't seen any flattened primers yet).

[/ QUOTE ]
    This surprises me Federal brass in the calibers that I shoot is superior to Win. and Rem. brass.
    UB

5. AJ Peacock

AJ Peacock Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    The Federal, once fired, no trimming hold around 84.9 grains. The cases that I neck sized, trimed to 2.490", and fired again, seem to hold around 84.0 grains.

[/ QUOTE ]

My numbers are with trimmed to 2.490 as well. The Norma brass I'm using is very consistent (weight and neck thickness).

don

6. dawaba

dawaba Active Member

I reload for some 20-odd rifle caibers from .223 to .375. Excepting the excellent brass from northern Europe, I generally prefer Federal brass over the other domestic brands for its good uniformity and consistency, especially with the belted magnums. Contrary to a previous post, I have found Federal to be harder, overall, than the others. This means that I get more shooting on avearge before having to toss out the brass. Dave

7. CatShooter

CatShooter Well-Known Member

8. youarenotcrazy

youarenotcrazy Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, maybe I'm blind tonight... it is 1:30 here right now. I don't see federal brass anywhere in that poll??

I've never used federal brass in a magnum case. It was notably softer IN MY EXPERIENCE in .270 win and .30-06 and my flash holes were consistently inconsistent so I discontinued use and moved to Winchester and am happy with that brass in all calibers I reload for minus 7mm-08, in which I used Lapua exclusively. That's all I know.

9. CatShooter

CatShooter Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm sorry, maybe I'm blind tonight... it is 1:30 here right now. I don't see federal brass anywhere in that poll??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... I don't either!

10. 41mag

41mag Well-Known Member

Most of my experience with the FC cases is in 243, .270, and 30-06, with a few loads for the belted cases. Overall I have not found a major difference in them when using standard loads. When I was going to use something on the higher end of the load chart, I generally used Win cases. Just something I got in a habit of doing when I started loading due to what your referring to.

In the belted cases, I have run them all pretty much to the same loads with only some cases showing pressure slightly faster than others. This has happened with all brands as well through the years, and could be due to the lots or the particular load on that day.

I did order some of the Fed 300 RUM cases back when I got my .270 A.M. and found they pretty much sucked, for that particular purpose. I only tried them with a couple of loads, and after that I haven't used them. I was going to give them a second look after getting my loads worked out, but just haven't done it yet. Too many irons in the fire right now.

WHen I picked up my STW a while back I found a deal on some Federal factory loads and bought up quite a few boxes. I also found a few Win cases to load as well. When I get round to it I will be working with both and will have a decent idea of how they work.

If you have a good lot and they aren't showing anything squirrely then I would go ahead and work with them. As with any other case, watch them close, use the chrono, and if you start to see, or experience pressure signs back off a tad. The cases in general unless your going to be shooting in a match, should work as well as any other brand. You will stillhave to hit the node for your rifle, and it might be faster or slower than your really wanting to go. You can always compare the cases side by side, but start low and work up when changing.

Overall, in most cases I have found the Remington to be the softest in the long run then Fed, and then Win. Again this is based off the smaller 06' type case, that I have loaded the most of. As for accuracy, I have had them all shoot excellent loads through the years.

11. ilscungilli

I appreciate all the replies. So far I have been pretty happy with the FC brass. Using RL-22 and 160 gr accubonds, nearly all the loads I have shot from 61-63 grains have been around .5-.75 MOA in a stock rifle. This is the first time I have used the Lee collet die, and I must say, I really like the results.

12. Desert Fox

Desert Fox Well-Known Member

IMO, Federal brass quality are better than Winchester or Remington. They're heavier on average, therefore thicker walls and less volume. They are softer than Winchester or the Remington though; this explain why they're susceptible to loose primer pocket especially when subjected to hotter than normal loads. I like their Gold Medal Brand. Too bad it was discontinued. I'm glad that my buddy, who is in the Anaheim PD SWAT team, constantly replenished my supply of 308 brass. That saved me some serious dough. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

13. kraky

kraky Well-Known Member