Fed 300 RUM brass questions??

7Rumloader

I just got my order from Dave at DL and was wondering how some of you that have used it sized the necks without contaminating the primers?? Some of the necks are dinged up from shipping plus I'm sizing it down to 7mm.
Would I be going wrong using a Qtip to swab some lube inside and outside of the necks since thats all I'm sizing and then clean it off with another Qtip for the inside and wipe the outside off with a rag?? I have some dry case neck lube as well. Would that be the way to go?? Suggestions please. I would hate to ruin those primers!

Thanks in advance!

I generally just use some moly powder with small stainless bbs. Dip the neck in the bbs with the moly powder and then size the neck. Alternatively you could just dip the neck into some Imperial Sizing Die Wax and then run the neck through your die and wipe off excess wax. Rufous.

When I size 300 RUM to 7, I just lube the outside case neck and size. I do however use a button sizer and make two neck reductions with no expander in place. Then wipe, load and fireform. Works for me.
db

Re: Learning and sizing the 300 Rum down to 7 Rum!!

I have just discovered something some of you may already know or have figured out.
I was begining to size down my new Fed 300 Rum brass when I saw it was creating terrible amounts of runout in the neck ( I was using a Redding neck die with expander ball )( visual when rolling on the bench )
I started experimenting and found if I necked it down and just started the expander ball into the neck and went back up and sized it back down then the necks would come out straight everytime as if the slight starting helped align it or something! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
It's new to me but some of you more experienced folks may have seen it. Tell me your experiences if you have and any tips or other things to look out for.

Update on my problems. My runout has returned to the same extent and I have run out of Ideas! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I'm starting to think it's in my die! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif What am I doing wrong?? I have give up until I get a response or another idea to try! I have 30 cases here that I have worked on and about half of them have waayy too much runout in the necks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Help if you can.

7RUM

Run the brass through the sizer again without the expander ball. I had the same problems sizing up Lapua 243 to 260. With my brass it took out half the runout, and groups were in the 1/2 Moa range. Good to go after the first firing.

you might try warming them up a little.i'm not talking about turning colours,just get em so you can't hold on to them.that rum brass is very thick,you might have to turn the necks anyway.

260shooter, Dave wilson, Db hostler and anyone else that replied thanks for the help. I loaded up twenty of the cases that had bad runout and shot them. No accuracy to report but the runout on those cases is gone!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Thanks again for the help guys!!

Thanks once again guys for the help.
Here is a pic of the target in case anyone is wondering about runout ruining groups. The load I was shooting produced 1/2 inch 3 shot groups without runout. I shot 20 times at the same POA and out of the 20 shots no three got in uder an inch consecutivly. There are some clusters but none from consecutive shots. The pic is a tad blurry and I don't know why.
Target.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.