Favourite .20 cal bullets for coyotes

I use 39 Gr. SBK and H4895 powder. I have killed a number of coyotes close and as far as 400 yards. Shot two the other day one at 50 and the second at 277 both were DRT. My rifle also likes the 32 Gr. V-Maxes but for coyotes I prefer the slightly heavier bullets. Both yotes were dead and you could barely see the wounds, very fur friendly in my experience.

Haven't started hand loading for my 204 yet.. But my savage loves the 40 grain factory hornady vmax

Well the 20 tac so far loves these bullets. Printing 1/4-1/2moa groups at 100 yards! I love this rifle and caliber! Was so easy to load for! Would like to get a new trigger for her and use it as my primary varmint rifle. The 204 on the other hand hasn't been so easy. It doesn't seem to like the 39bk too much. I'm thinking of grabbing a couple factory boxes of 32 and 40 and see which one it will prefer and go from there. If 32 is the case then I'll probably pick up 35gr bergers and start there!

Might be adding a 20vt to the collection in a few weeks

I've taken over 100 coyotes with the 20 caliber since getting my first 204. It is a custom bolt gun built on a Ruger action with a Pac Nor 1 in 10 twist barrel. I was told thats preferable to the 1 in 12 for the heavy bullets. I almost always used the 45gr Hornady SP and it's still my first choice. I have used the 40gr V max enough to know I'm not a huge fan for coyotes. It does great unless it hits bone, but on called coyotes I don't always get to pick my angles perfectly. I've had it splash on the shoulder and found it lacks penetration for a yote that's running away. I've also had it make a fist size hole in the front center of the chest of a coyote I called in close. My bolt gun really shoots them well especially in the hot Superformance factory loads. I shoot them from it now most of the time for smaller varmints and use the 204 AR for calling.

My second 204 is an AR with an upper built by Predator Technologies with a 1 in 9 twist barrel 22" long. It gets 3325fps with the Hornady 45gr factory loads and shoots them into a ragged hole. I just got it all set up late last year and have only taken 5 coyotes with it up to now, but it's doing a fine job.

That 45 gr Hornady might exit on occasion but it's tough enough to take a shot at a second coyote as it runs away, a shot you need some penetration for. It might make the difference between taking a double or not having a bullet that can do that. If it does exit it's a small easily managed exit wound. I hope to get to try one on a bobcat but haven't yet had that opportunity.

I use a 204 9 twist and with the 55gr. berger you need to hit bone, I go with the shoulder if you don't they will run about 50-100 yards an die

I really like the 32gr vmax out of my 204 for coyotes. Have shot about 100 coyotes with them and they're great. Out to nearly 450yds. But mostly under 300yds.

I've got a 250 pack of Calhoun 33gr double hollow points. Going to try those out in the HS 204 I recently got.

I use the 55 Berger out of a 204 Ai going 3520 and have shot 80 coyote with them all have been drt . Most have been really fur friendly with little damage the worst had an excited wound the size of a 50 cent piece. Have shot them from 20 yards out to 790 yards . Have been really pleased with the bullet and its performance. My barrel is also a 1&9 twist.

My CZ Model 527 .204 "Varmint" Rifles shoots the 39 grain Sierra Blitz Kings the best with small entrance wound and no exit hole so it does really good on the hides/fur of the Coyotes!

Is this a common thing of no exit hole or does it depend on where you hit him. Would a broadside hit in the lungs also have no exit? I realize that situations vary from Coyote to Coyote ...........but I would guess that under some circumstances you do get exit holes?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.