Favourite .20 cal bullets for coyotes

matt_3479

I recently purchased a 204 Ruger and a 20 tac. I called called the local store and they set aside a pound of imr 8208xbr, and reloader 10x to start. I picked up a pound of vhitivori N-133 this morning. The 204. Ruger is a 1:12twist and the 20 tac i believe is a 1:11 twist. I have a full box of 40gr vmax and a quarter box left of 39gr blitzkings. I'm just curious what everyone's favourite 20 cal bullets are for coyotes

My CZ Model 527 .204 "Varmint" Rifles shoots the 39 grain Sierra Blitz Kings the best with small entrance wound and no exit hole so it does really good on the hides/fur of the Coyotes!

Attachments

• 20160101_205558-7.jpg
    20160101_205558-7.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 257
The only bullet I've used in my 204 Ruger has been Hornady's 45 gr. Spire Point. I've taken a couple of coyotes with it and even a deer.

I use to do a lot of shooting with the old mans 204. Ruger and was the reason i was in the market for another 20 cal when load development finished and he wanted it back lol. The 39 blitzkings was the bullet of choice for it as well but were hard to find. I am heading up to a store which has a bunch in stock and will pick up a couple hundred for load development in both rifles with high hopes. If not, the old man can always use them. What powder choices have you guys been using and charge weights?

My CZ Model 527 .204 "Varmint" Rifles shoots the 39 grain Sierra Blitz Kings the best with small entrance wound and no exit hole so it does really good on the hides/fur of the Coyotes!
Yep, works for me and my CZ. Some complain of splashes, but no problems here.
I run the iconic 35 grain Bergers in my LVSF over compressed Varget because of accuracy, but no kills yet. Have heard some gripes about newer lots of that excellent coyote round, btw.
I'd like to try some of the aforementioned 45 Hornady SPs, but they don't stabilize well in my 204s. Am going to a slightly faster twist come re-barreling time to work better with 40-grain and up bullets. Your 20 Tac - if it's an 11 - should do fine....

Ran into the store and the 39gr blitzkings were super hard to find for a while so I was originally going pick up 200 but walked out with 1300 so hopefully they work lol. Called a buddy who could use them so if they don't work I'll give him and my old man some. Grabbed some Remington 7 1/2 primers, tomorrow running to my local store who has some imr 8208 and 10x set aside for me, brass is trimmed, cleaned, and prepped. So should be able to try it out real soon! Thinking of starting with 23grs of both 8208 and 10x in the 20 tac and 24.5 in the 204

As mentioned the 35gr Berger has been the staple of the 20cal's although I have recently discovered the 39gr Speer and it's looking good so far. I gave up on the Sierra.... Plenty accurate but too many unexplained runners and a few splashes.
MOST of the time they work fine.

I have shot nearly 1000 39 Blitzkings in my Tac 20 since last fall on Prarie Dogs.

I would think they would be much to explosive to work without some splashing.

That being said I have not killed a coyote with one.

The 40 gr nosler. Between two different 204's, this was the best bullet for us. Even anchored one at 700+ yds. We tried hornady vmaxs, Bergers, and Sierras. We just had fewer run-offs with the nosler. You will just have to try them yourself. They are all good bullets, some people have just had different experiences.

I've never had any problems with the 39 Grain Sierra Blitz Kings.....Close-up shots or far away they have performed great for Me!

Attachments

• 20160101_205414-1.jpg
    20160101_205414-1.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 277
Redding dies showed up today and 300 pieces of brand new Dakota brass! Wanted to get out and test it this weekend but due to weather I won't get out to test till 2 weekends from now. I'll post results between the 39 blitz and the 40gr v-max

I get the best groups with the Nosler 32 gr. V-max. Mine is on a Savage bolt gun with a Savage factory barrel.

Other folks I know with .204's also like the same bullet.

The terminal on 'otes is fine as well.

Best regards

Three 44s

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.