Votes: 59 9.5%
  • 6.5-47 Lapaua

Votes: 51 8.2%
  • 6.5-06

Votes: 48 7.8%
  • Other

Votes: 198 32.0%

• Total voters
I was just in this same dilemma as well. I settled on the 6.5x284...seems to be unique but not too wild.

You kinda have mild to wild to pick from, so many good points on several of them to choose one! I would seriously look at the 6.5 Sherman, it's right at the top before you go to wild IMO so it seems to be very easy going from what I've seen but you still get some performance, 140's in the 3150ish range are just awesome and my dad played with some 123's the other day and 3400+ was easy with stupid accuracy!!! Easy to just call up Hornady and get a custom die set coming since they have it on profile.
I'm getting a barrel for my Savage to play with and my Bro is gathering parts for a Howa 6.5 Sherman. It seems to be one of those that you just grab when you go to the gun case!!

Actually, Rich and I had this discussion to some length via email a while back and even sent me one of his Sherman cases. Pretty nifty. Very close to a WSM in capacity. The problem is that it's just a bit too long to be loaded in the Howa mag box when loded with the CE 130 bullets I'll be loading for my primary hunting load.

I have a strategy to maybe get the 130 CE's to 3500-3600. We will see :)

Actually, Rich and I had this discussion to some length via email a while back and even sent me one of his Sherman cases. Pretty nifty. Very close to a WSM in capacity. The problem is that it's just a bit too long to be loaded in the Howa mag box when loded with the CE 130 bullets I'll be loading for my primary hunting load.

I have a strategy to maybe get the 130 CE's to 3500-3600. We will see :)

What coal do you think you'd be looking at, I was kinda wondering if the CE wouldn't be on the menu. I figured with the 130 CE it would run about 3.510 ish so if you fit a Rem box mag you'd have a bit of room left even in a Howa.

Have you read Outlaw 6.0's threads on his 6.5 WSM using the CE's? I personally would really like to do a 6.5 RSAUM but there needs to be a better source for brass to form it with.

What coal do you think you'd be looking at, I was kinda wondering if the CE wouldn't be on the menu. I figured with the 130 CE it would run about 3.510 ish so if you fit a Rem box mag you'd have a bit of room left even in a Howa.

Yup, I was think just over 3.5. I really like the Howa's better than the 700's. My other project is a 300 RUM and it's being done on a 700. Ended up replacing the bolt, trigger and mag box and getting a pinned recoil lug. It costs a lot more to get the 700 up to speed than the Howa's.

Have you read Outlaw 6.0's threads on his 6.5 WSM using the CE's? I personally would really like to do a 6.5 RSAUM but there needs to be a better source for brass to form it with.
Not til you just told me about it. Very interesting for sure. I had read LTLR's threads and some others. Sounds like they're killing critters pretty good.

Oh yeah, was down in your country for about 5 or 6 weeks off and on this summer building grain bins. Been very busy these last 2 years traveling all over the state so not much time for much else unfortunately. This year I think I'll be taking a rifle with me if I'm doing a job somewhere during hunting season.

I did vote for the WSM :rolleyes: I think I can get the 130 CEB over 3400 fps pretty easily. The terminal performance has been good so far & the BC is there.

The SAUM would be a great choice if brass was more available. GAP is starting to push the SAUM as well, maybe that can help create a little more interest in the SAUM case.

I also load for the 6.5-06 AI, we're using the 140Barnes XLC in that one loaded to a little over 3000fps. It's been a hammer on everything we've taken so far. I think it's a pretty good cartridge & would recommend it as well.

t

I did vote for the WSM :rolleyes: I think I can get the 130 CEB over 3400 fps pretty easily. The terminal performance has been good so far & the BC is there.

The SAUM would be a great choice if brass was more available. GAP is starting to push the SAUM as well, maybe that can help create a little more interest in the SAUM case.

I also load for the 6.5-06 AI, we're using the 140Barnes XLC in that one loaded to a little over 3000fps. It's been a hammer on everything we've taken so far. I think it's a pretty good cartridge & would recommend it as well.

t

I saw your threads Outlaw... that is a sweet rig for sure! Mine wont be quite so purdy, but hopefully it performs as well. I'm going to get my barrel nitrided and try RL 17 in it sooo.... I'm guessing I'll be able to push those CE 130's about 100-200 fps above 3400. Just a theory at this point but I'm anxious to find out.

I've noticed an interest in the SAUM cartrige... I wonder why? Seems to be so similar to the WSM, but just a little smaller. I'm contemplating a future 6mm SAUM build on my Sako 85.

I saw your threads Outlaw... that is a sweet rig for sure! Mine wont be quite so purdy, but hopefully it performs as well. I'm going to get my barrel nitrided and try RL 17 in it sooo.... I'm guessing I'll be able to push those CE 130's about 100-200 fps above 3400. Just a theory at this point but I'm anxious to find out.

I've noticed an interest in the SAUM cartrige... I wonder why? Seems to be so similar to the WSM, but just a little smaller. I'm contemplating a future 6mm SAUM build on my Sako 85.

Thank you sir! I contemplated nitriding my barrel as well, my ' Smith told me he would not set the barrel back if I did that.... RL-17 might do well, I don't know. Just not enough barrel life to tinker :D

Keep us updated on your build!!

t

I contemplated nitriding my barrel as well, my ' Smith told me he would not set the barrel back if I did that....

Really??? Wonder why? My smith is very pro on nitriding and has had a number done with good results.

I will definitely keep all ya'll informed. Probably won't be done till end of summer or fall.

Really??? Wonder why? My smith is very pro on nitriding and has had a number done with good results.

I will definitely keep all ya'll informed. Probably won't be done till end of summer or fall.

Something to do with the increased hardness of the barrel due to the nitriding process causing issues with tooling....

t

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.