Favorite 243 powders: 2018 edition

Great information folks. Much to consider and by all means, keep it coming.

Edit: I see Berger lists the 105 hybrid as needing a 7" twist. Anyone have experience running it in 8"?

I ran them in a 9 twist with good results though I stick with the 95 vld cus it shoots just a little better for me. I think you would be good to go with an 8 twist

I've been pouring over load data from various manufacturers. For whatever reason I tend to obsess over making a powder work with any bullet weight I'll use. If it works in more than one cartridge that's a double bonus.

That said, I'm going to give Ramshot Hunter a try. Their data shows it pushing 75 grain bullets over 3600, 87s over 3300, and 105/107s to 3000 fps. If I can get good accuracy out of it it sounds like a do-all powder.

I've also got RL17, IMR 4831 and 4350, H4831SC and the RL26 to play with.

Something's sure to work eventually.

Here's the first three rounds out of the new barrel at 100. These are 75 V-Maxes on IMR 4350 I had made already.
KIMG0292.JPG

It looks like Hunter falls a bit short on velocity with the 107s. I got good accuracy but only managed about 2850 fps.

It did however produce good accuracy and velocity with the 75 V-Maxes. My last run over the screen showed 3550.

I'm not going to spend too much time on making the V-Max shoot bugholes, just looking for a high velocity round for pests.

I'll probably set up with RL26 next to send the 105-107s up over 3k.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.