favorite .223 hog bullet.

I have killed hundreds of hogs with a .223. Shot'em with Barnes, nosler, sierras, ball ammo, and so forth. All in all the 62 gr federal fusion has performed flawlessly. Great penetration, but stay in the hog a lot. Where I shoot most of them I can't have pass throughs due to cars and buildings. I have broke both shoulders of a 300 lb boar with the 62 gr Barnes Ttsx. So depending on your needs there are lots of good choices.

Ive been using a 75gr PPU Match bullet loaded with WC842.. its about 2575 out of a 16" barrel and it works great on deer and hogs..

275# boar (i think this is #47 for me with the .223 and 75gr)
1354169889.jpg

Single shot dropped him.
He was facing me slightly quartering, pullet entered the neck and was lodged on the oppostie side between the armour plate and the hide..

1354169052.jpg

I have pictures of a wound channel from a 170# sow i shot last year.
She took off running and i pegged her a lil further back than what i wanted but still dropped her dead.

I cant rem which forums frown upon gory pictures.

dixie I found the same thing about the barnes. very little expansion even at less than 50 yards, Now they did role many of the pigs on the run but i will be moving back to the partition or trying the fusions. I may end up just swapng barrel for a 6x45.

Here in north Florida we don't have as many hogs as the Texans have but we have our fair share and they are a real pest if you're a deer hunter.

They're almost totally nocturnal if they feel the slightest bit pressured so we rarely see any more than the tracks and the food plots they tear up.

Uncle Ted has a great way to hunt them in Texas... ;)
Ted Nugent Machine Gunning Hogs From A Helicopter - Blur Brain

180gr Accubonds in .308 win...or bigger :rolleyes: Sorry...

My answer is shoot whatever you feel is most accurate and reliable through the weapon. With a .223/5.56, I'd go with a shot to the nervous system. I've killed a bunch of pigs with my AR and had a few get away because of going for heart shots. My AR shoots accurate groups using surplus Lake City M855 Penetrator (62gr green tip) and I have a lot of them... and it kills pigs. I promise. :D A lot of members of pig hunting forum I'm on suggests Barnes TSX when using a .223 but the topic is debated on weekly.

In my experience, the first shot counts the most and if you get follow up shots on the rest of the brood, you're a mixture lucky/good. After the first shot, when the chaos ensues, putting accurate shots (obviously needed with a .223) on running rooters between scrub and trees is a real challenge. I usually try to go for neck shots because they're easier shots than heart shots or shots to the grape, especially when the chaos starts. Because of the follow up shots, I like to have something with more punch. I've been thinking of deploying my M1 Garand because I get a fast rate of fire with a 30-06 round.

Pig hunting (to me) is much more fun than deer hunting. I've killed pigs with anything from a .22lr to a 12ga as well as having more than a few get away. Nine times out of ten, when one got/gets away it's due to my error but I found you minimize your margin of error by shooting a larger-more powerful round...

The AR is obviously an awesome weapons platform because of the rate of fire makes it possible to kill off entire broods. We started using a semi-auto 12ga with buckshot where we hunted in South Texas because the shots were within 40yds and we didn't usually clean or eat the pigs (they were usually big, nasty, taste like garbage and the land owner liked to see dead pigs drug out to the bone yard). In my opinion, nothing is more effective in exterminating pigs (other than helo's or trapping) than running up on group with a shotgun and a four wheeler. I think I may have a different outlook on "hog hunting" than others though.

Sounds like you got the plan and it works for you. I like the DPMS LR 308 for pigs and I use bait at times and actually still-hunt them in the middle of day in creek beds. Like you I think bigger is better too. Hogs can carry a lot of lead if you don't hit them good, My Son shot one coming of the brush at 150 yds with his 270, 140 gr balistic tip. It hit in the left front shoulder and exited out through the right hind quarter. All the way through that hog where it counts and it still ran 100 yds.

Attachments

• 321018_498764163500578_686366524_n.jpg
    321018_498764163500578_686366524_n.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Speer Gold dot 64gn, bonded, it's amazing

hey reeldawg, here's a pic of a hog hunt we did with AR-15 rifles, but shot placement is everything. We use what's in the chamber at the time. The last two hogs we hit were anchored in place. My Son and Grandson shot on queue ....(100 yds) at the same time and got them. Neither one of them ran, spine shots. My Son finished off one with his knife... LOL a hard core hunter ...
But one bullet was the zombie green tip and the other rifle had FMJ, and there was no difference in the damage done, either entry wound or exit wound. Both hogs were hit 3 to 5 inches behind shoulder and 3 inches from top of back... These two guys made me proud .....
gun)

Attachments

• DSC00351.jpg
    DSC00351.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 128
Congrats!! It is fun living in states that are just about over run with them. I have shot them with abunch of different .223 rounds from ar plat forns. The Speer Gold Dot is worth a try. A bunch of my friends have gone to using 300 Blackouts with cans. Most of them are using 110 Barnes. I have used Bergers in .243, 7-08 , 308 Wim and 300 Win Mag They are really immpresive

LOL the rest of the story, is after I heard the one shot and the boys hollering, I started to climb down after I unloaded my rifle. I was in a hurry and dropped a round from the stand, so I was looking for it. I was about 20 feet from my stand, with an empty rifle when; a stamped of hawgs came through the woods squealing and crashing through brush all around me. No time to load , just to hoof it to the ladder and get off the ground. LOL... The boys told me that there were about 12 or 15 hawgs at their feeder when they shot, and they were in full flight toward me, after they circled the area. So the picture is blurry because I was still shaking a little... :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts