Fall bear hunting idaho

Endless_prusuits

We have had a trip planned for almost a year to fall bear hunt Idaho. There is a serious lack of info available on hunting them in the fall.

We will be spot and stalk hunting no bait or dogs

Just a few questions if any feel like helping out

We were planning unit 1 but I'm hearing from alot of people that it's super thick up there and might not be great for spot and stalk.

Can anyone recommend a unit that may be better for spot and stalk?

Reduced tag units?

We are not afraid to work for the bears

Just hard to get a solid game plan together from 3000 miles away

Any help is greatly appreciated

Lots of high country with open basins and ridges. Go early September and they will be packed with huckleberries. There is getting to be a lot of Grizzlies though so make sure you know what you are shooting at.

You may want to look at units further south, like 19 or 19A. I live in the Idaho Panhandle, and it is THICK up here, especially Unit 1. The only areas open enough to glass are the ones that have been clear cut, and once those grow back with reprod trees, they also become inaccessible.

You may want to look at units further south, like 19 or 19A. I live in the Idaho Panhandle, and it is THICK up here, especially Unit 1. The only areas open enough to glass are the ones that have been clear cut, and once those grow back with reprod trees, they also become inaccessible.
I've also been looking at unit 17 coming in off of 473 and into the south end. Any suggestions for that area?

I know this threads old but curious if you did end up hunting North Idaho? STEEP and Thick is a good description.
But I've stumbled onto black bears a few times in the high line drive area S/E of lake pend o rielle while scouting deer and elk in late summer.
Gotta be better place's though.
I see you're from North Port, I'm in Sarasota but have a farm in Bonner County and live up there off and on much of the year.

I know this threads old but curious if you did end up hunting North Idaho? STEEP and Thick is a good description.
But I've stumbled onto black bears a few times in the high line drive area S/E of lake pend o rielle while scouting deer and elk in late summer.
Gotta be better place's though.
I see you're from North Port, I'm in Sarasota but have a farm in Bonner County and live up there off and on much of the year.
We actually ended up hunting the sawtooth region. Spent some time in unit 28 and 34. Didn't find any bears but got a good handle on what we were doing right and what we were doing wrong gear wise. We are currently planning a trip to head back into 34 for the 2023 spring bear season the last week in May.

We actually ended up hunting the sawtooth region. Spent some time in unit 28 and 34. Didn't find any bears but got a good handle on what we were doing right and what we were doing wrong gear wise. We are currently planning a trip to head back into 34 for the 2023 spring bear season the last week in May.
Be prepared to possibly be locked out with snow in late may

Recent Posts