fairly new...gun/caliber advice...sendero?

w8n4rutnmt

like title says, fairly new to long range shooting/hunting. i have been trying to absorb as much info from you guys as i can for a while and just recently joined. i am confident out to 600 yards on a 12 inch gong with my rem. 700 cdl in 7mm rem mag with zeiss conquest 3.5-10. looking for advice about the rem. sendero. caliber choice is still in the air. trying to decide between the .300 RUM for the high bc and long range accuracy vs. sticking with the 7 mag. also concerned about barrel life. i live and hunt in montana and want a packable rifle that i can kill elk with out to 1k. advice on packable rifle includes gun, caliber, and especially scope. (what do you think about the zeiss rapid z 800??)
much thanks in advance for any advice

7mm Rem is minimum IMO for elk at 1k (unless your really high), and yes the 300RUM is a barrel burner. I would say that if you already have a good shooting 7mm, dont get another. If your open to other calibers I would recomend the bigger .338's. I have a factory XCR with a brake (so its light) and I really like it. My limit is 700 yards in VERY good conditions simply because the rifle is light thus, a little tougher to shoot at LR. I would say that a .338 Norma, lapua, edge or RUM would be the best in a Senduro with a good brake. if your recoil shy go with a 300 win with a good brake. The .338's are good on barrels for the preformance that you get. Ohhh... And welcome to LRH! if your dreams arent already consumed with LRH every night just keep reading and shooting until they are!

yeah they are.....especially stretching (for me anyway) to 770 yards plunking rocks. even though i had to have my spotter walk me in. with a 10 max power zeiss i figure it isnt too bad....just want a redicle i can lean on at 800 yards. i'm tired of guessing where to aim on the post

Winchester Mod 70 Classic Laredo 300 Win Mag LNIB : Bolt Action at GunBroker.com

Remington model 700 Bolt Action Rifle w/scope : Bolt Action at GunBroker.com

Weatherby Accumark .300 wby mag : Bolt Action at GunBroker.com

Above are my votes for you. All three are great factory rifles that come with a good stock, action, and bottom metal towards a future build/rebarrel.

Shoot any of the above three as you save for a .338 build. Order your barrel after you buy your rifle. Hunt with your rifle this year. After the season is over, your barrel will be in hand. Then send your rifle off to the smith and have it rebarrelled to a .338. While the rifle is at the smith, sell your dies/brass for the 300.

You'll have between now and the end of the hunting season to decide on a smith, muzzle break and which 338. You'll shoot a 300 with heavier bullets than your 7mm so you can see if more recoil (that comes with a 338 is for you or not). If not you'll have an excellent 300.

The M70 and Remmy will make excellent Edge donors. The Wby could go Edge or Lapua.

Better buy that Laredo before I dogun)

BTW....I wouldn't get to hung up on 300 Win vs Rum vs Wby. The Rum will out perform the Wby, and the Wby will outperform the Win, in the hands of shooters with equal capability. They all aren't very nice on barrels, but esp the RUM.

The ballistic differences between the three won't be manifested until after 1000 yds....the shooter/optics/quality reloaded ammo will be a larger factor in the performance differences between the 3 cartridges listed above.

And don't forget....Make sure to have fun at this!:D

BTW....I wouldn't get to hung up on 300 Win vs Rum vs Wby.

The ballistic differences between the three won't be manifested until after 1000 yds....the shooter/optics/quality reloaded ammo will be a larger factor in the performance differences between the 3 cartridges listed above.

And don't forget....Make sure to have fun at this!:D

+1 to all the above. It is a matter of preference. If 1K is your limit, then go with the tried and true 300 Win Mag with a 200grn+ bullet. The 300 Win Mag is going to be easier on barrels and the reloading wallet for powder. I am a firm believer in the 7RM also. I feel using the 162 A-Max, 168 Berger, 180 Berger, you will be able to effectively take an Elk to 1K. As with all shooting disciplines, practice... practice... practice. That will be the greater factor in harvesting game at long range. All of us that shoot that distance do it on a regular basis fine tuning our skills and rifles. Welcome to the addiction and LRH.com. A lot of good guys here with great info.

Tank

i have senderos in 7rm and 300 win. never shot anything but paper past 400. the 300 has more power with the 210 at the longer ranges. i had a laredo model 70 in 7mm it shot very good too. having shot 9 elk and guided guys to 29 more i don't think i would shoot past 500-600. last one i shot at 26 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.