Fair poke on the last day of rifle season.

Actually Ric,

I think that even if you are not funning there has to be something wrong with you. That is to say , maybe your " whatevers " are off balance, or some other dang thing thing

Let him walk,

Yeeaaaahhh , that is what it takes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Though there may be those that don't realize it I have done the same thing for a while now , and have recognized the benefits of doing so .

More later as I have to get to bed now !

God Bless , Jim

Jimm

Hehe! Maybe so! But hey....I've been huntin these darn things since 1948 and I've gotten more than my share; some really nice ones so now.....I can pick and choose what I want to take home! I've got meat in the freezer from LAST SEASON...along with a fresh elk so it ain't like I'm gonna run outa groceries!!

Hehe!! Whacky as a road lizard ....you say?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'll take my grandson there and he can get this one!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Huntem ,

How great it is to have a last minute reprieve

[/ QUOTE ] If you ask the wife, she will tell you that I tend not to shoot a deer in the beginning of the season. I really enjoy being out and about in the woods. The shooting part is only the tip of the iceberg.

[ QUOTE ]
I really enjoy being out and about in the woods. The shooting part is only the tip of the iceberg.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats right.

Huntem,

That's a nice shot, congratulations!

We had a really rough season hunting the Allegheny National Forest. We had a pretty big gang and only saw three legal bucks all week. Its getting harder to drive up there from home to hunt when everyone from home tells me how many deer were standing in my yard while I was gone.

huntem:

Good looking buck and a great shot under the circumstances. Deer in the snow are super. It's like everything is clearer and they stand out a lot better. Congrats on a successful season.

Nice buck!

I ended up seeing over 50 deer with 3 shooter buck, and 2 non shooters...most of which were on the last day.

Never had a shot we liked, as most were between 625-850yds...and there were too **** many trees in the way...

skunked here in the middle of the state...

JB

Hey...nice buck. I had a great season here in SW PA (Armagh area)...saw a fair number of deer and filled all my tags. I hunted with my Savage Striker 7-08 (Shilen SS Match 16.75" and Burris 3-12x32 Handgun scope) for the first week and a half trying to get a 300yd shot. The load was 40gr Varget and 154gr Hornady SST at 2500fps. I was also shooting prone (in the snow!!) from a Harris and no rear rest. My first doe (on the first Wednesday) was at 238yds just to put meat in the freezer. My second (the second Monday) was at 270yds...getting impatient...both exhibited great bullet performance. The bucks just would not get moving in the pasture during daylight hours.

After that I grabbed my short range gun (10" T/C .30 Herrett) and hit the thickets to get this fella. He's a decent 13pt...got him at 40yds.

2005%2013pt.JPG

I bought an out of state license for PA because I was here for 11 days of the first two weeks of hunting season (buck and no bonus doe tags for $100 but I was desperate). Hunted two full days (1 and 3), 3 other mornings and two afternoons (before and after work). No long range shots--had to pass a nice 8 point buck up at 529 yards because he was crossing a road--with a nice doe following him. Had one young buck (not enough points) come within 10 yards of me and he hung around for a half an hour munching and walking around and never saw me. The second afternoon and the 3rd day we were walking and I kicked up a very heavy 8 point buck but couldn't get a shot off in heavy cover (I have to learn to walk a little quieter it seems). Skunked. If I had doe tags here I would have been able to fill them out--lots of them both big and small. Really only saw 3 bucks over the two weeks. and about 40 hours humping around Kittanning. Nothing was moving in the daylight until dark after day 1 either...came out at 7pm and there were 11 doe in the neighbor's field. Breaks my heart...

Luck next season or in muzzle loader in Jan.

Matt, I grew up 20 minutes North from Kittaning on Rt28. I could have hooked you up on some good critters. If you don't mind the hillside to hillside shots, particularly with snow on the ground.

Twenty minutes north of Kittanning...New Bethlehem/Hawthorn area?? I go through there all the time for work!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.