Factory guns: Savage 112 VLP or Rem 700P?

Christian

I hope to begin putting together a basic long range rig soon; nothing fancy and probably mostly stock.

I plan to go with the 300 Win Mag and am torn between the Savage 112 VLP or the accurized 700PSS package that Impact sells (action and trigger worked, barrel set back and rechambered, muzzle re-crowned, etc.).

My question is whether or not the extra expense on the 700 would be worth it ($600+/- versus $1100). What are the chances that the Remington will shoot markedly better, ($500 worth) than the less expensive Savage?

I'd say odds are the Savage will still shoot better. The Remington would probably need a better barrel to keep up with the Savage's button rifled barrel. And there's no mention as to whether the Remington's bolt lugs would be lapped or not--which is something else which would probably need to be done...

Get the Savage and put the extra cash into better optics and more bullets and powder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dan

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say odds are the Savage will still shoot better. The Remington would probably need a better barrel to keep up with the Savage's button rifled barrel. And there's no mention as to whether the Remington's bolt lugs would be lapped or not--which is something else which would probably need to be done...

Get the Savage and put the extra cash into better optics and more bullets and powder.

Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said!!! Especially the last part.

That's what I suspected from what I've been reading. I feel better going with the long action as I suspect I can get a little more velocity from heavier bullets in the 300WM than the 300WSM. I've seen data at Nosler that leads me to believe that the 200AB can achieve over 3000 fps from a 26" WM, but the WSM would probably max out just under 2900 fps. I suspect I could get good velocity at less than max pressure out of the longer cartridge and get better barrel life in the process.

Actually there is a thread over at nolserreloading.com about the heavier bullets in the wsm-it states that nosler is advising that you stay away from the bigger bullets in the wsm.

And by the way-go with the Savage-you won't be dissappointed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well, I'm the proud owner of a Savage 112 BVSS in .300WM. It seems that the new 112 VLP has not been released yet (only the short action guns are available), but I was able to find a BVSS by calling and emailing every shop I could google within driving distance. I think I found the only remaining BVSS 300WM in the state of PA (I had to drive 3 hours to pick it up). I think I got a good deal on it too- $550.00 new in the box at Grice Gun Shop in Clearfield.

Next step, save up for a scope. I'm unsure whether the 6-24x50 Burris Black Diamond (30mm tube- 50MOA of Elevation) is worth $300 more than a Sightron 6-24x42 (1" tube- 40 MOA of elevation). These two scopes seem to be leading my list right now (good glass, sufficient adjustment for 1K, sufficient magnification, target turrets, etc.). Thoughts?

way to go with savage I have 2 a 308 and 300wsm and with my wsm I won a 1000yd shoot with it. Now with the scope that your are deciding on I like Leupold thats what i have on all of my cometition guns. when I bought my 300wsm it had the same burris scope and it sucks <u>sucks</u> I have not look through a sighton but I have not heard anything good or bad about them I would suggest that you look very hard at Zeiss conquest 6.5-20*50 for $700

Nice choice with the Savage. Sightron also makes a 6x24x50mm with a 30 mm tube, in the S3 series. Price is in the same ball park as the Burris BD, both are good scopes for the money. The Burris appears a little clearer and brighter to me.

The burris scopes is one of the suckiest scopes that I have ever look through so please do not buy it

I love my Black Diamond. Nothing tracks better.
hubblecloseup.jpg

Ya right I had one one a savage 300wsm and it was so blury that I could bearly make out what I was shooting at.
So I think you should look hard at Zeiss conquest for around $700

All the rest of my scopes are Leupolds. Power for power it is brighter clearer sharper than any of them. I don't know about the Zeiss. Mine is so good it stays on 32 power most of the time. Was yours a Black Diamond or was it a Signature series? On 32 power they are not as sharp. If yours was blury, something was wrong. Did you focus it properly or have it evaluated by Burris? I'm looking to buy a few more BD 8-32's but surely wouldn't pass up a 6-24 if the price was right. The Sightron's I have looked through were unusable on their top powers. My Black Diamond is perfect on 32 just like my Leupolds are all fine on their top power.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.