Factory finished rifle vs Semi custom build.

Robertk

Hello all I'm a new member. I'm looking into getting a 300 win mag for a long range rifle. I know what I want and can get close with the Savage 11/111 LRH But I think a semi custom would end up a better choice. My problem is I have no idea where to start. I am wondering if there is anyone in central oregon on this thread that could possibly point me in the right direction. Please keep in mind that I would like to keep the build around $1000 bucks excluding optics. Thanks.

Welcome aboard!!!

From the wording of your post and your spending desires I'd suggest: Get the Savage model you are leaning towards.

Get the reloading stuff necessary to work up the best shooting load for it. Odds are that you will achieve accuracy sufficient for LR shooting. If not then...

Pillar and skim bed and float the barrel. Give it another go for accuracy. You should be about there after this.

With this approach you will have minimum expenses and most probably have what you want.

You may also wish to upgrade the stock. There are many sources for after market stocks.

You'll want to put more emphasis on the glass than on the rifle. That is, put more dollars into the glass than the rifle. Sorry, that's just the way it seems to always turn out.

By the time you get to bustin rocks at stuff at greater than 800 you'll know what you are doing and have plenty of experience.

Brand new member here as well. I am a ranch broker living in the 4 corners area who is out on the road in 4 states , showing and scouting my listings, trying to keep predators at bay, and when time permits , hunt mule deer, elk, whitetails , (both coues and midwest , pronghorn) In the last couple of seasons by upgrading my optics inventory,I have found some monster bucks that my rifle and my current capability , I allowed to walk.However, with tags getting harder and harder to draw, it was time to upgrade the rifle and my confidence with it. .....My free time is/was the determining factor for just ordering a Gunwerks LR 1000/Long Range Package 6.5 -284...I had a booth at the Dallas Safari Club and most recently the Western Wildlife Expo in Salt Lake, and enjoyed the luxury of meeting most of the custom and semi custom venders..All were very nice, and competent to talk to..

Gosh, I wish I had the knowledge and time to "self set up' the gun, but the components alone that I would probably mis-order, loads I would mis-load, and weeks, (not days or hours) my simple mind would need to comprehend what i was building out, made the decision for me...I went with turn key custom and completed...Heck, even as a kid with model airplanes always had parts left over!..biggest deciding factor was talking to existing gun owners who removed all doubt..
Just glad to be here..

Thank's for the advice Roy. I have a 7 mag and a 300 ultra I already load for so I'm ready there. I was planning on the huskemaw for optics though it will be my first one. I knew I'd be spending a pretty penny on optics but I was hoping I could save a little on a semi build. Looks like I'll go for the Savage. Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts