Factory ammo and scope help

CPerkins

Alright, Dad passed on the '06 and 270 as mentioned in my earlier post. He bought a 338 win mag in a Browning Abolt hunter. Here's the problem. Our season opens up in less than 2 weeks and there will only be an opprotunity to shoot one time before then. That kind of kills the chance to work up a handload and he he just wants to be able to pick up a box of shells anyway. His shots are limited to 300 yards (max available where he hunts and thats pushing it. His favorite stand barely offers a 75 yard shot. Think its alittle over kill on a 120- 180 pound whitetail? So what kind of bullet do you suggest. I looked up whats available and am leaning toward the 180 or 225 gr accubond, 225 gr Barnes tsx, or a 200 gr Nosler ballistic tip. Now for the scope question. He is looking at either a Burris 4.4-14x42mm with the ballisti plex or a Nikon Monarch 3-9 x 40 with the BBC reticle. I know there are alot of 338 cal. shooters here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.