Factory 260 or creedmoor

jsthntn247

I'm considering getting a savage 11 th xp in either 260 or 6.5 creed. I want to shoot 130 grain bullets and will be hand loading. My main concern is which one of the factory throats will allow me to reach the lands and still function in the box magazine. Anyone have any input or experience with either?

with the exception of my 300wm
all my Savages have short throats & long mags
no problem reaching the lands
a new center feed
in 260 or cm
will have a long mag -short throat

Not sure about the 260 but I have an 11 in the creed and 140 amaxes touch the lands and have lots of room left in the mag

I had a wish of 2900 from the 22" tube, either one of these be more capable than the other?

I might be wrong but I think 2900 would be hard to get from a 22" bbl I got a 24 on my creed and pushing at about 2810 with no pressure signs with the 140 amax

was just using that as a comparison I still don't think you will get 2900 out of 22" tube with 130

You could probably get pretty close with either however brass life will most likely suffer. Even if 2900 is acheived; how do you know it will be accurate at that speed?

Either cartridge is a great choice with factory Hornady Creedmoor fodder having a reputation for outstanding accuracy (the match ammo anyway).

Federal is a couple years overdue for the 260 FGMM that's been promised...

t

The hornady 129 interbond ammo claims 2950 but I think that was tested in a 28" tube. It should still get close to my goal if it would shoot decent and not blow primers. Reloading dies for the creed are never in stock, and brass for the 260 is hard to find, go figure.

Don't over look the 6.5x47 Lapua. Excellent brass, barrel life, great ballistics, extremely accurate, and it was built for the 130 gr bullets.

I have the Predator model in the creedmoor and as others have stated the throat is not that long. I played with the berger 130s before settling on the 140 amax load that was too good to not use as a primary load. I am still playing with the 130s when I find time to get to the range. I am using H4350 in both loads, with the 43.5gr was getting an average of 2897 out of the 24" barrel with no signs of pressure. I have a couple more charges loaded for next range trip. I will say that the 129sst superformance factory load shot good at 100yds, under 3/4", with 5 shots reading 3049, 3055, 3054, 3055, 3057. I find that hard to believe myself, but that was the reading. The group opened up at 200 yds or I would have bought a lot more of it! I have read of people getting good speeds even out of the 20" lightweight hunter.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.