F/N Action

shadetree

[FONT=&quot]Hi:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have a F/N commercial action that I am wanting to build a long range [/FONT][FONT=&quot].338[/FONT][FONT=&quot] rifle with. It is the Magmun action (It will chamber and has bolt face for .375 H&H). I had thought of purchasing the TRG-42 but that is a great deal of $$, or building a .338 Canadian, until finding about the .338 edge. Is the action I have described suitable for these calibers:.338 Edge, .338 Canadian or .338 RUM? Any help will be appreciated.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Nicholas in N. Idaho[/FONT]

Not sure what action you have I can only assume sence your talking 338 EDGE its not a PBR/SPR but an FN Mauser style action? Do you know how old It is? Im sure one of the Smiths will no if its safe or not but when you talk old mauser actions there are only a few years and models that are real safe for building on.

Jon

The 338Edge or 338RUM should work fine in your FN Mauser action, but I am not familiar with the 338Canadian. Case head and case length (2.85 for Edge and 2.76 for RUM) are no problem. I have heard some speculation about the strength of these actions but the RUM operates at only about 2,000 PSI higher than the 375H&H, so if that slight increase in chamber pressure sends it over the limit it would have failed eventually anyway. I used one of these actions for a 264Win build and heard the same negative noise about that but never had a single problem with it, and the 264 operates in the same ballpark for pressure as the RUM's.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.