F-Class Competition As Training For The Hunt By Jim Collier

Jim:

Great article on F Class. Sounds like something that is perfect practice for long range hunting. Might have to give it a try some time.

I was reading along and it was getting really interesting and I was thinking about what it would be like and contemplating things right up until I read what "food" I'd have to bring.
Lastly, you should bring food and drink being as these things drag on and on. Food should be potted meat sandwiches, chitlins, tripe or fried possum but you will have to guard them so the other shooters don't steal your lunch.
Man........I don't know about that part of it. Hope that's not a rule at all clubs.:):D:)

Great informative article. Good to know my 7MM STW is not applicable for F-Class. Is it applicable for any long range competitive shooting? I usually shoot off homemade shooting sticks in a sitting position or from a box blind and window sill. What type of competitive shooting would help me with these type of hunting styles? I also shoot .270 win and 257 roberts.

I usually shoot 200 to 300 yards at the range i go to and site guns in for 200 yard zero. I have not dialed up and down yet but with the new 7mm STW I am going to try. I think the scope I have will be up to the task, will see if the rain will quit and I can get that load developed.

HRStretch

What I would suggest is that you get a box of Berger 115 VLD's for the 257 Roberts and buy some new cases and some match primers and see if you can tease about half inch groups out of it. I do not know what powder but maybe some Varget or 4350 would be a good place to start. This should reach 1000 yards easily. If the rifle will not hold half inch groups then take it to a benchrest gunsmith and have him look it over. That would be my choice for competition.

I would then find all of the ranges and clubs within a hundred miles and see how many have websites. I would check Benchrest Central and 6mmBR forums for matches. What I would look for are "fun" type of competitions such as dynamite, balloon, groundhog, etc. Many of these will have factory classes and the distances will be short to intermediate. About 300 to 500 yards will probably be comfortable to you at first and then you can move out to some of the further distances.

There are a lot of things transferable from these kinds of competitions to shooting deer at 300 yards from a box stand. Mostly they will be shooting mechanics such as trigger control and reloading techniques. Any problems with the rifle, such as a too flexible fore end or bad bedding, scope clarity or shooter will be come apparent. Some of us just don't have the ability to concentrate and pay attention to details that it requires to become really good competitive shooters, but the objective here is not to become an Olympic gold medalist, instead we just want to improve our shooting skills by practicing under controlled conditions and trying to learn from a group of people who have really great shooting skills.

Jim,

Good write up. I enjoyed the read.

I learned some things. Sorry about that loose bipod. A bigger wrench will help (LOL)

Looking forward to the report of the next match......

Roy

It had only been 38 years since I last used a 40X rail and those little 22 rimfires didn't recoil very much as I remember it.;)

F-Class Competition As Training For The Hunt By Jim C

Jim,
Thanks for the great article. Another example of this sites dedication to educating newcomers to Long Range like myself. Congratulations to all for a fine effort. Thanks to your dedication, I am sure I will progress in such a way as to uphold the integrity of the sport.
Thanks again!

Nice article, thanks for the information. I live about 3 hours from Hawk's Ridge and 3 hours from Quantico so it's nice to know I have some choices for F-class competition. I was fortunate enough to shoot my first 1,000 yard match just a few months ago in Quantico, Va. at the IBS Nationals. I had a ball and I am looking so forward to shooting and competing in the future. I'm also looking forward to different forms of competitions.

Mike

Mike

I think there will be one more F-class in December. I most likely will shoot unless it is raining or something is happening at home that requires me.

Mike

I think there will be one more F-class in December. I most likely will shoot unless it is raining or something is happening at home that requires me.

Bob,

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately with my current chemo schedule I probably won't get to shoot again until late spring or even summer.

Thanks again for the information.

Required Gear for F T/R

Hi Jim,

I'm a new hunter and found your article extremely informative. I normally hunt in upstate PA for deer but my father-in-law has been talking mroe and more about going out for Elk in western PA or out west.

I also wanted to start F T/R shooting as is seems a shame to leave my .308 in the safe 11 months out of the year.

I just wanted to know if my current gear list is covering all the bases for the first-time I go out to try some long range.

Rem 700 PSS .308
• Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14X 40mm
• Harris HB-LMS Bipod - 9-13", Swivel, Notches
Rear Bag
Celestron 18-45X 65mm Spotting Scope / Tripod
MidwayUSA Shooting Mat
Folding Chair
Cooler w/ Food & Drink

Maybe I'll run into you at Range 4 sometime.

Thanks,

DaveC

There is an F-class match January 27 at Quantico. I am going to be gone hunting so I will not be there. I expect I will be there in February but may be coaching a new shooter so I will be pretty much dedicated to that.

Here are a few things you didn't mention:

Rear bag of some kind.

$30 for entry fee

pen/pencil for scoring and paper for making notes on drops.

Bullets capable of traveling to 1K supersonic. Basically Sierra 175 MKs at 2600 fps will do you fine. For bought ammo, people recommend Fed Gold Medal Match 175s or Black Hills Match. I have never shot any factory loads. The 168s will lose velocity and are kind of iffy at 1K.

Eye and hearing protection.

They shoot in the rain if the targets can be seen so be prepared for that.

There is some kind of 1K prone match at Williamsport Pa but they call it something different than F-class and it is only 10 rounds fired for record so it is not worth my time and trouble.

What distinguishes a full-house open class rifle from a target rifle on a bipod? I have purchased a Remington VS in 308 that came with a Leupold 4.5-14x40 on it, mounted on a Hart & Sons 20 MOA rail. The problem (if it is a problem) is the previous owner put a rail on the fore-end and an adjustable butt-plate assembly on the butt stock. Can I still shoot with the amateurs, or am I going to have to shoot with the big boys?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.