Extraction problems continue on my 6x284

Iron Worker

Ok I have purchased a Redding body die for 6/284 and that didn't help,I turned neck down until a fired case would easily accept a bullet. So just got back from firing 10 rounds. With 105gr Berger Hybrid turning necks down reduced case extraction problems,but didn't eliminate this problem a 100% ????? I loaded 10 rounds 5 Berger 105 hybrids seated to touching the lands and 5 105 gr Hornady a-max. Made no adjustment on seating die when seating the A-maxs . Guess what I had zero extraction problems with the A-Maxs ??????? Why ? Also I felt the A Max seating harder into lands than Berger upon chambering ?

If you check the specs. real close I believe you'll find that the Berger VLD has greater bearing surface than the Amax. That would tend to raise pressures to some degree and that may be what you're dealing with.
Also I felt the A Max seating harder into lands than Berger upon chambering
Have you annealed any of that brass?

Howdy Ironworker,

You said: "I turned neck down until a fired case would easily accept a bullet."

Sounds like you have a tight necked chamber. Do you know the specifications of the reamer's neck?
You might have to remove more brass from the neck area on your cartridge for plenty of bullet release. I remember reading on Accurate shooter that some owner's rifles didn't shoot their best until there is at least .003" clearance per side in neck. Not saying that is the situation with a 6mm-284 just suggesting it might help.

Fear no wind may have it right with more bearing surface causing more pressure.

What length barrel, charge of powder and velocity are you getting with the 105s?

Is extraction difficulty bolt lift resistance or rearward movement resistance of bolt?

Howdy Ironworker,

You said: "I turned neck down until a fired case would easily accept a bullet."

Sounds like you have a tight necked chamber. Do you know the specifications of the reamer's neck?
You might have to remove more brass from the neck area on your cartridge for plenty of bullet release. I remember reading on Accurate shooter that some owner's rifles didn't shoot their best until there is at least .003" clearance per side in neck. Not saying that is the situation with a 6mm-284 just suggesting it might help.

Fear no wind may have it right with more bearing surface causing more pressure.

What length barrel, charge of powder and velocity are you getting with the 105s?

Is extraction difficulty bolt lift resistance or rearward movement resistance of bolt?

Rardward movement resistance . With 105 A-maxes I feel I'm seeing light at end of tunnel. And I think this is why I had the problem I did with Re#33 . I think I'll order a .270 bushing from Redding and turn necks down to 271. Then start over with Re#33 cause I have 2 lbs of the stuff. What is your neck diameter ?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.