experience with the Nosler E-tip

rdsii64

In my quest for a new bullet I stopped at the Nosler website and looked at their E-tip. The 168 grain E-tip has an advertised Balictic Coefficient of .503. . On paper I like them especially since I live in southern California where some areas have no lead ammo rules. Has anyone had any experience killing game animals with the Nosler E-tip. I all but had my mind made up to go with the Hornaday Amax untill I saw this gem. its lead free and has a super high BC for such a light bullet.

thanks

I have used the 180 e-tip in my 300 rum and they are very accurate(in my rifle) and worked excellent on game,i don't think you would be disappointed if you decide to give them a go.

The 150 is .469 which is also very attractive for the speeds you can get out of it. At 3750 fps out of a 300 rum it is a lazer for several hundred yards. I load mine around .1 off the lands depending on which rifle I use. Pressures got very unstable and unpredictable when I got that bullet closer to the lands. Typical for monometal bullets.

I am sure it will perform like the other E-tips on game which is excellent. I have some loaded for my 06 and have not gotten to the range yet. I will post my results maybe next week.

here's a picture of some recovered .308 150gr.E-tips shot at some hogs at 306yds going at 3295 at the muzzel from a 300 win.the one at the right was dug out from the dirt.
102_3056.jpg

In 2010 my son and I shot three bucks inside the lead free Condor zone. All three deer were shot with 150 gr E-Tips, two from a 30-06 and one from a 300 WSM. All three bucks were shot in the ribs just behind the shoulder. All three 150 gr E-Tips passed through the deer leaving a very small exit hole. None of these bucks traveled more than 30 yards after being shot.

I used the 180g 30 cal on deer and elk with no complaints. They shot accurately and load developed with no problem. I did not shoot anything at long range with them, so I can not comment on that. They did perform very well from 80 yards to 300 yards. Beware that you can not use conventional load data, you must start lower.

I am now using GS Custom bullets. They are also a lead free. They run a little higher velocity and on game performance is perfect, so far, out to 760 yards and under 100yards. They have been consistent from small cals as well.

Sorry about the side bar. The E-Tip is a very good bullet in my opinion.

Steve

Did you guys notice any problems with the .308 150 grainers being undersized? Quite a few of mine measured in at .307" and about 5% of them will not sit tight in the cartridge. I can litterally spin the bullet with my hands. I completely removed the expander ball in my sizing die and still had the same problem. My .308 loves them and the velocities and high BC of the 150 gr. E-Tip makes it pretty ideal for the .308 Win. Planning on using it as my go to hunting round in my .308 regardless of whether or not I'm in the lead free zone. Who knows in a year the whole state might be lead free.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts