experience with 7mm Rem mag 168gr berger?

mrbigtexan

The reason I ask is because I have shot 2 coyotes this deer season and both have run off. One was where he turned several circles while biting himself and ran off. The other was what looked like a bang flop and then getting up and running off. They were both under 150 yd shots. I have shot a few in the past with ny 270 using a 130 gr sst and almost turned 'em inside out, and figured the berger would be even more explosive than the sst.

They have been killing elk, deer , antelope , bear and so on just fine for us for years. However I do prefer the 180's for elk. You must have bionic coyotes.:)

That said I shot a yote in a slow trot with a 223 and a factory soft point a few weeks back. He spun as well then run off. We returned to track him (in snow) that afternoon and lost him on private about 1 1/2 mile in. The blood trail was easy to follow and was like paint spray where he was first hit. No blood was in any track so he was hit in the middle. I say I gut shot him. A gut shot yote will go for miles.

Jeff

The 168 Berger is not made to open that fast, it's likely barely just starting to open when it exits. They open after penetrating unlike the SST which starts opening on impact.

I have only shot one coyote with my 7mm berger 168 VLD's. I shot it at 40 yards and it opened him right up. Not much left on the front end after that bullet hit him. Just my $.02

The experience I have had with a 7 mag and 168 berger hunting vlds is it makes for a lot of sewing. Bang flop with big holes.
Jon

my experience hunting with 7mm 168g bergers is pin hole entry and mince meat inside. they definately open up nicely even at close range.best bullet ive used being honest. now looking at using bergers in my 223 for fox shooting here in Australia.

Last edited:
Shot a yote last fall with berger 180 vld, at 381 yds. Bang flop. Hit high shoulder, bullet penciled through.

I shot one with 175 vld out of a 300 mag and he was dead with in 10 yards. Split him end to end.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.