Expected velocities with 270WSM

BuckSnort

I have a Tikka T-3 Lite that I have to work up a load with... I had a good accurate load with 140 gr BT's but now with the new CA laws I have to shoot lead free... I plan on using Barnes 130 gr. TSX's ...And most likely H4831sc as I am fond of this powder and I buy it in bulk to feed several other rifles..

What kinda velocity can be expected with this combo? Would love to get near 3200 fps, just don't know if it's doable with a 24" tube?

I don't think you will get 3200fps with H4831sc. 3100++ but not 3200.

You can get that and more with Magpro or RL17. Probably close to 3300fps. My hunting loads mainly use H4350 for real close to 3200fps.

I have been using Magpro and RL17 just lately. Last years buck was taken with a 130g Berger and a stiff charge of Magpro that I didn't chrony but was supposed to be over 3300fps. Magpro drops velocity when it gets real cold out.

Thanks CogburnR,

I did try 4350 while doing load development for the 140 gr. BT's... It was just as accurate as the H4831... I need to just get off my but and do some loading...

I have the same rifle and it clocks 3300 fps with 130 gr. Hornady Interbond and 69 gr. W 780 (listed as max on Hogdon site) . No pressure signs and feel I could go higher but I'm happy with it as is. W 780 is reported to be the same powder Winchester uses in their WSM factory loads. Also good results with the Interbond 150 gr.( 3150 fps) As usual start low and work up!

Last edited:
Thanks guys... Soon as I order some bullets I will start working up a load.. Might try RL17 but I am concerned about the change in velocity from cold to warm weather... Has any of you done any real world testing with these powders to see if they are temp sensitive?

I have never used them a lot. however rl 19 and 22 seem to be pretty stable. hopefully someone else with more experience chimes in. I would like to know for sure.

I've used a little R22 and quite a bit of R17 in mine and I only use them for varmints due to temp issues, but I've gotten spoiled and picky by using Retumbo!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.