Exotic hunt recommendations

jedlowe

Just curious if anyone has any good recommendations for exotic hunts in Texas or other places. I am looking for somewhere with a lot of acreage and challenging hunting for good trophy quality animals. I am looking for blackbuck, axis, and maybe some sheep species. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Jed.
I have hunted in Texas a few times and I have had a great time. That stuff is thick down there and hunting over bait or food plots is the only way of consistently taking animals. Most setups are designed for a 100 yard shot. I am sure that you can find something. One thing we did is on our very first hunt to Texas we just booked a cheap hog hunt to see what we were getting into. Come to think of it, If you want to work on your long range shooting I bet they could corn the roads for you then drop you off but that only really works for Hogs and not exotics. It might work but once the hogs show up they push everything out.

Jason
The New Mexico Sportsman

If you want a real long range hunting experience you might contact Lendell Laxton at L&L Hunt Service in Texas ((800) 316-6813, cell (361) 550-6532 plus he has a website. He has a variety of exotics but the best is his nilgai hunt. He has something unique - he bought a Barrett M99 in 416 Barrett and has it ready for long shooting. He will let his clients shoot the big boomer instead of their rifles - this is an experience in itself! He has some nilgai spots that are amazing for reaching out there - we killed a fine bull at 510 yards last year from the top of a stock dam. Overlooks a dry lake bed, maybe a mile wide by two miles long. The critters hang out in the flats, shots can be very long. Very high game populations, not a cheap hunt but sure fun! Has hogs out there also, they are excellent critters to work the .416 on

Think about how lame it would be to sit in some luxurious blind over a feeder waiting for some caged beast to come to the dinner bell. That stuff is not hunting. Go to Africa.

long distance shooting

One of the greatest places to shoot long distance that I am aware of is Colorado. It is there that the long distance kill record was set which was a prairie dog at 1.78 miles and this is not a typo. For long distance shooting at larger animals there are also Montana, Idaho etc or even Alberta for Elk and related. Course hunting in Canada requires a permit and they are not easy to come by. Just member, long distance hunting requires 2 distinct components (actually 3 if you include the shooter): 1) the rifle which would include the 30-378, the 338-378, the 338 lapua and so on, and 2) the scope which are available in a host of sizes and types - the 2 best of which are the Nightforce and the Schmidt & Bender but how many are willing to spend 1.5 to 3 thousand dollars on a scope. I would defintely recommend a smart phone or pocket PC including a palm pilot with the appropriate nightforce software which is amazing in its info and actually goes to 2000 yards.

I would have to second Ian M's suggestion on the Nilgai because I have made
one of these hunts on the B Bar B ranch and it was tough.

There were no stands and it was a spot and stalk hunt.

After spending several days walking looking for a good 'BLUE BULL' we spotted a
good one at just over 800yards the trouble was that he had already spotted us
and decided to bug out.

So the next day we went to the same area and finally got a shot at just under
800yards By crawling up the side of a sand dune and staying prone while looking
for him. we even pushed tumble weed in front of us as we got close to the top
of the dune and stayed behind it to break our outline.

These things can realy see good!!!

When we finally spoted him we set up for the shot (We guessed 750+ and turned
the 7mm STW lose with a 140 partition and then we saw him bow up and run about
a 150yards before he went down.

At the time my longest shot was 817 yards so this was near my limit. But the range
was good and the shot was true and the bull was just over 11 inches (9" is considered
very good).

This was one of my best hunts and I am going to book another hunt now that I have
extended my range and have moved up to a 338.

This is truly a fair chase hunt and by no means easy ,the ranch we were on is just
over 100 thousand acres and there were only 4 hunters on the ranch while we were
there.

J E CUSTOM

Probably never caught a planted trout either.

Yeah, I try to avoid stockers because they perpetuate a false idea that I am being part of a sporting tradition when I fish for them. They are stupid and weak, and usually don't survive very long in the wild. There are plenty of people who don't care or make a distinction. If you want to fish in an aquarium then go ahead.

Come to Africa

Come to South Africa - it is good advice. We have a magnificently beautiful country PACKED with all shapes and sizes of game. A dollar buys you 7 rand and with that exchange rate you can have a ball!! Shop around for outfitters OR contact local farmers who double as game farmers. Sort your own accomodation out and pay radically reduced rates. Your most expensive item will be your flight. You can have a budget hunt you will never forget.

Yeah, I try to avoid stockers because they perpetuate a false idea that I am being part of a sporting tradition when I fish for them. They are stupid and weak, and usually don't survive very long in the wild. There are plenty of people who don't care or make a distinction. If you want to fish in an aquarium then go ahead.

Guess what, I've never hunted a high fence ranch, the only trout fishing I do is for wild trout. My point was, they have high fences in Africa too. I don't think it is my place or your place to tell people where or how to hunt or what fish to catch. I'm sure different people hunt high fence for different reasons no need to rag on them.

been to africa three times,

and belive me, high fences are there, they try their best no to show them...

The first time I went to africa, when I had a beast on my sights, the PH told me that the animal I was aiming for was above average and I had to pay a premium if I take the shot... why do you think they only have certain species for you to hunt?

same as here in mexico, I have shot cape bufalo(cheaper than in africa) and elk in big ranches and yes it was a tough hunt. same as texas nilgai..

bottom line my experiences to africa (where I have shot plenty..) have been good but I would preffer other destinations, hunting in africa has become like prostitution...

the more money you have the better the trophies, and thats not hunting.

Joe from Mexico.

Joe from Mexico

I am saddened to hear this. Operators (not all) also shun us as locals to lure dollars rather than rands BUT if you work intelligently you can by pass these guys and shoot what you like where you like. Big game like the big 5 might be a problem but everything else up to Eland is readily available. Hunting Africa is often mistaken for the big 5 but there are PLenty other species that are brilliant challenges. If anyone is keen I can point the way - send me a privet message and we cna work from there. (I can also put you on to operators who put on a good show)

I hesitate to comment on this issue ,but what the hell.

First of all ,hunting any where in the world has become a matter of money
no matter where or what kind of hunting your doing.

To some it's not the hunt that counts it's the "TROPHY" harvested. and
to others it's the hunt it's self that counts they feel that it's ok if they dont
kill any thing Even though it would be nice as long as they are with good friends
and have a great time.

I personaly dont like high fences but I will not criticize those that do.because there
interest are more towards the size of the rack/trophy than the hunt it's self or maybe
they cant spend the time with a lease or public land to find good hunting.

As far as paying more for a nice/trophy in leu of a good animal you should know if
the outfiter has different prices for different classes of game before you book a
hunt with him. Surprises are the best way to ruin any hunt.

Throphy hunting has become to expensive and and less enjoyable to me so I have
changed my priorities and have been realy haveing fun and still being challenged to
keep it interesting.

This subject will never be settled because there is no real right or wrong way just
ones opinion and how he chooses to hunt.

So if you dont believe in a particular type of hunting "dont do it" and make the most
of what you like doing.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts