exotic deer hunts

ForneyRider

Anyone eaten any of these exotic deer (doe)?

Sika
Axis
Fallow
Red Stag

We have opportunity to hunt these fine animals. They look small compared to white tail.

I'll be able to report Saturday! The processor called and I'll have my axis steaks and hamburger meat Friday!

I can however say that bacon wrapped nilgai is the best steak I've ever had in my life. Axis is supposed to be real good too, apperently it doesn't taste like whitetail. Fallow tastes similar to whitetail IMO.

i had the pleasure of eating some oryx a while back and wow was it delicious! It was just a cut of what i would call round steak from the hind quarter, but it tasted almost as good as lean pork. i had a 4 pack so i grilled 2 one night and the next 2 i battered and pan fried the next night. EXCELLENT! AJ

I have eaten All but the Stag.

They were all good.

I don't know of any deer that are bad tasting.(Elk and Moose are part of this list and also in the deer family).

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Anyone eaten any of these exotic deer (doe)?

Sika
Axis
Fallow
Red Stag

We have opportunity to hunt these fine animals. They look small compared to white tail.

I ve eaten Sika hind and yearling staggie, Fallow doe, pricket, and Red hind and pricket. Wouldnt bother with full grown stag / buck of any of those species. My preference is for Fallow pricket, tender, full of flavour and with some fat covering on the saddle, haunches and in the chops. Delicious!

Best

Peter

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression Red Stag are substancially larger than white tail for average.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts