Ever played around with 7mm Mauser AI?

rocky_lange

I just picked up a 7MM Mauser in fairly good shape, non matching numbers. I bought it for a play toy (gunsmithing practice). So what can I do to get better performance out if it?

7x57 only has a 20 degree shoulder so I assume I could improve it. Anybody here try?

What else could I rechamber the existing barrel into? I do not wish to rebarrel at this time, only rebore what I have. So keep the suggestion to 7mm with dimensions LARGER than a 7x57. I also don't want to cut the barrel shorter yet as I do not have a lathe.

I have not fired the rifle yet, so I do not have a benchmark. But I guarantee it will have better accuracy after I finish cleaning it. So far, 1 hour scrubbing the bore and swabbing with soaked patches and after 40 patches, they are still coming out black. I don't believe the former owner knows what a cleaning kit looks like.

Next question, anybody have a link to a website where I can get bulk surplus ammo? So far I've found 100 rounds of 139gr for about $60 and 173gr for $75. Both PSP. I would like to find FMJs in 500 or more rounds.

Thanks,
Rocky

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts