Estate Brass

wayneborngesser

Howdy all,

Does anyone have any experience with Estate Brass?, my FFL in PA used to sell tons, literally, of their shotgun ammo, and I was told that it is made by Federal. I looked up the main site of Federal and it looks like there are a lot of companies that are owned, or under the oversite of one giant company. That being said, if it where made to the same spec. as Federal would it be good brass? I have heard that Winchester is good, any info would be appreciated. I would be using it for .270 Win, and probably not to max, I care more about the group size, but may in the future use for Elk, which would mean a heavier and tougher bullet, and higher pressure. Thanks.

Wayne,

My personal brass preference has always been Winchester.

Its ligher, more volume and tougher than most others, especially Remington.

It can be loaded to a bit higher velocities and stands the pressure better.

I load a 140 gr bullet to 3200 fps and get nearly 20 reloads per case.

Its a good solid load for deer out to 750 yds, as far as I've shot one with that rifle. On elk I'd try to get a little closer with that cartridge, at least to 650.

For some reason, I think the 10 grains in bullet weight between 130 and 140 is more important than the 10 grains between 140 and 150:confused:

Good luck on yur shootin.

Thanks royinidaho,
I did buy 100 of the winchester brass, the estate was at such a low price I couldn't resist, I may cut in half with my diamond wheel and see how it's put together. Thanks for answering a question that I had been pondering as well: 140 v.s. 150. I was looking at the 140 SST's. Any info as to their holding up in an elk? They don't blow up at close range[like that'll happen in WY!] on the speed goats, or the muley's? Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts