Erratic Chronometer Readings

Have you shot the acoustic chrony against the Oehler and if so, what were the results? My smith has an Oehler and I was going to have him compare when I got the acoustic. Really nice not having to worry about light, and having a large shooting window and not having to assemble anything to set it up.

I haven't shot them in line(which I will eventually do) but I have tested each with the same load on separate days. I used a load that has been well tested and I have good data on. The average velocities are the same between the two on an overcast day. The Oehler produces about 50-60 FPS slower velocities on a bright day. The Superchrono is not effected by lighting as claimed. The Oehler will give sub 10 FPS ES with my load while the Superchrono appears less consistent.with some shots within 2-3FPS and some flyers that are off by 10-30FPS. I cant't confirm this , but I dont believe my load was off, particularly since the Superchrono had flyers every time I used it. The Oehler did not. I generally test 5 or 10 shots in a string. You will find that the Superchrono does have a large shooting window,and its small and simple, but to get meaningful data you have to be very precise with angle, and height in relationship to the barrel. This height is based upon expected velocity range which is listed in the instructions. I do plan on working with it some more, but so far it has not proven to be the panacea that has been claimed. Perhaps playing with it some more will change this.IMO.

I have seen variances of up to 100fps in velocity depending on how much shoulder pressure was applied to the buttplate during firing using 2 different chronographs simultaneously. This could be repeated at will. Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.