equipment questions

Stringer

I am in the process of joining a local predator hunting club that does almost entirely coyote hunting. I am doing this because I want to make the transition from target shooting to hunting, and varmint and predator hunting attracts me for the precision/long range aspect. Please forgive my inexperience with hunting, because I'm sure I'm about to provide you with some eyerollers.:D

After my first club meeting this past weekend, I was informed that much of my present equipment is inappropriate. To my surprise, I was told that most shots taken are at ~50 yds, and in darkness. I was told that my scope selection is inappropriate. Hunters in this club use scopes with at-the-minimum-50mm objectives, set at magnifications at 3x or lower, and with heavy duplex reticules.

I'm a paper-puncher, and I have a 4.5-14x40 fine duplex and a 6-24x50 mildot on my rifles that have scopes. My remy700 in .223Rem wears the 6-24, and BTW I don't like the big objective. Is 6x really just too high a magnification for shooting at 50 yards? I don't really want to invest in more glass. Can I get away with setting the scope at 6x? What if I chose to use a K31 with irons instead of the 700? The .30 bullets for the 7.5x55 Swiss are FMJ, so maybe not too destructive?

Let's say I was gonna buy some glass. If I was to purchase a low magnification scope, I'd much rather get a ~24mm objective (no bell at the objective). Would the small objective sacrifice light-gathering so much that I couldn't use it at night?

Also, I have NO camo. I was told that I need it (no solid colors). We live in the desert, so light colors are preferred. From what I've found, there isn't a whole heck of alot of desert camo available for cheap. Are solid beige/brown colors unacceptable? Couldn't I get away with some tan Woolrich's and a brown shirt?

Set me straight!:)

Take this for what its worth. I'm not the best caller in the world but I have called a few coyotes in my day. I would suggest using an inexpensive camo jacket from wal mart or some such store to begin with, movement is way more important then the camo. That is to say sit as still as possible always when calling predators and if you do move move slowly and delibertly no jerking. I have called early season dogs in a white t-shirt shhhh dont tell my wife she will be mad about the expensive camo in the basement. As far as rifle I use only higher magnification scopes because out here in western Nebraska you do shoot long shots too. Just alway try and keep your scope on the lowest setting when you are making a set. once you have called a few coyotes and have caught the bug you will feel better about buying the camo and new scope. Just my opinion good luck and remember watch the wind.

John

These boys must be some really good callers, 50yrds ??? Dark Oh ya it must take them that long to get that close, **** have some sport dust'em out at elbow range.
For tan camo go to the army surplus store and pick up some desert gear from uncle sam

For the kinda coyote calling we do in MT your current set up would be good, we tend to shoot higher magnification scopes on heavy varmint rigs but it sounds like your hunting with a spot light or something and that kinda rig would suck. A shot gun can be better for that kinda hunting.
Maybe find someone who calls and shoots day light hours before sinking green backs into it.
Fast movement and shiny stuff will kill you more than no camo, most the time I use a sage brush pattern jacket and just wear normal pants and other stuff. But the way we call the coyotes attention is 50- 100 yds away from us so they aren't focused in our direction any way.
Calling and shooting coyotes will give you the giggles like nothing else, best fun to be had.:D

Thank you all for your replies.:)

Yep, these guys mostly shoot with a spotlight. It's good advice for me not to drop dough on my rig before my first go-out, especially since I might find that this ain't for me. I will get some concealing clothes though, just because it's probably good to have anyways.

Would it be totally inappropriate for me to bring my K31 with iron sights? It shoots a 174gr .30 FMJ bullet at around 2500 fps. Too cruel or messy?

Stringer hello and welcome to LRH !

Yes it would be inappropriate to bring the K31 -you will not be able to see the open sights very well and FMJ bullets are illegal for hunting in many states -they might not expand well and are prone to riccochet.

On your question about a small objective lens -yes a small objective will hamper your shooting at night -it will not gather much light.
Find yourself a good 3x9-40 or larger objective and you will have a nice all around calling scope.

You being a paper puncher you probably don't shoot short compact carbine type rifles -a little CZ 527 american in 223 w/a 3x9-40 bushnell 3200 elite w/ firefly reticule will make a great calling rifle !
Forget the big macho heavy barrelled "coyote" rifles [laugh] get a true calling rifle lightweight -compact -accurate hard hitting you'll be glad you did after a long day and night of calling.
Best of luck to you -Mike

Well if you're going to shoot at 50 yards on called Yote's at night'…, you might try a SAVAGE 24 Over Under COMBO Gun 223/12ga. Top it off with a Leupold Prismatic with illuminated reticle and good loads; you've got a Yote popper. Most the M24's I've used in a .223 Rem; had {MOY} minute of Yote out to 250 yard's or so. M24's are light short and give you some pretty good close in advantages with the .223 Rem in a good varmint bullet and the 12ga with BB's or #4 buck.
As for the camo…. Its night time, don't worry so much about color; worry more about your scent and outline… in the day time must stuff from Duck hunting to Military clothing works. You might put on a small pressure pad green light laser at the bottom of the shotgun barrel just for fun… nothing large just a small cell laser that can be zero's with the rifle/shotgun'…., its a hoot.

Me…. I like the Yote out there in the thin air as they say…. the longer the better, but still using an accurate walking weight rifle, leave the heavy ones on the bench.

Last edited:
This one is easy----many rifles will do the trick at 50 to 150 for this. Might think about even a 223 but the optics are a no brainer. USO SN4 which is the best low light optic I have used. Don't be fooled by the size it is the best for short range low light. I use one for short range feral hogs which are all at night---none better IMHO and I have them all from the PMII's, SN3's to the VMV 56mm's.

I would say stick with your .223 as it is for now,because when you hunt in the day light you will be all set and my opinion is that with your scope on its lowest power you will be able to shoot at night if the spotlights are any good.
Go buy yourself a couple predator calls the closed reed type, that means the reed is inside the call, maybe a dvd about the sport ,watch it ,then go someplace way away from everyone a start making some noise , you will make mistakes we all have and still do. Here is a good site to check out
www.predatormasters.com lots of good info and people.
Just me but when I want to try something and a "club" tells me that all my equipment is wrong it makes me want to prove them wrong. Anyway good luck and hope you have success.

when I want to try something and a "club" tells me that all my equipment is wrong it makes me want to prove them wrong.

:D That made me grin from ear to ear.

For now, I think I'm going to go ahead and use the rig I've got. It's the calls and techniques I probably need to worry about most right now. I could waste days looking for optics and gear. Days I could use to learn about hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.